Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leak

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Howdy all,

In the passed few weeks i have noticed a large oil leak from my VS ecotec. The last service i had the rocker cover gasket replaced so i'm praying to god it's not the other big one in the rear main seal! I haven't jacked the car up to check exactly where it's coming from, but i've had a quick look under the car (to the best of my ability) and i've noticed the drops are coming from right near the tranny, but it's not red oil. Could it be, since the tranny has only ever had 2 services in it's 230,000kms life, the oil is black? Or has my greatest fear come and i've done the rear main?

Cheers,
Boojakz.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Could be the rear main, the trans fluid will always have a reddy brown colour, never black. Could also be something higher up or further forward, and as you drive it all runs to the lowest point, which is the inspection cover of the trans. Best to give it a clean, drive it for a bit and see if you can find the leak.