Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Light

chromic

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 E2 R8 Maloo, 05 VZ CV8 Monaro, 96 VS V6 Ute
Hi,

My oil light comes on sometimes when I brake hard and come to a complete stop. The light comes on, makes a noise, I start getting worried, then the light comes off.

I checked the oil level and it is fine as I did an oil and filter replacement last week. The only thing is I used a cheap brand oil filter (cost me 4 bucks) instead of the ryco one.

Could the cheap oil filter be the problem? In the whole time (9 months) I have owned it, this has only started to happen after the oil change. The oil has also been changed regularly prior to this.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
Sounds like the cheap oil you bought, my suggestion is always buy a good quality oil and oil filter, and I would probably do an oil pressure test afterward just to make sure all is o.k.

M

mrVT

looks like u need a new oil pressure pressure switch if lights turning on and off doesnt matter what oil u use it shouldent be making light go on and off.

SSbeast

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like oil pressure switch. Does ur check engine light come on? If so u can scan the codes through holden or if u have a scan tool. And will tell you if ur switch is an issue.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Hi,

My oil light comes on sometimes when I brake hard and come to a complete stop. The light comes on, makes a noise, I start getting worried, then the light comes off.

I checked the oil level and it is fine as I did an oil and filter replacement last week. The only thing is I used a cheap brand oil filter (cost me 4 bucks) instead of the ryco one.

Could the cheap oil filter be the problem? In the whole time (9 months) I have owned it, this has only started to happen after the oil change. The oil has also been changed regularly prior to this.

You've just struck a very common VT problem.Replace your oil pressure switch.That will fix your light problem,You also mentioned NOISE !!! What sort of ??? Tappet noise ? or what ?

Joshu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Hey does anyone know where the oil sensor wire leads too? Mine has disapeared, the plug is there but with only one wire in it, I looked at a vs and the same sensorplug had three, so I am missing 2 wires to the actual plug, any ideas?