Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil pressure gauge malfunction?

DamoFayeVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
Hey guys me and my missus own a 92 VP, just drove over the nullabor, had no problems. Changed spark plugs after 3000 km's and have had no dramas until yesterday. The pressure gauge is going off the dial past 50 psi, way past, and all the way back to 10? Oil level is fine. She is running hot and smelling a bit but temp gauge is ok? I do most of the work myself and know a bit but this has got me baffled. Can anyone shed some light on the problem? Looking forward to hearing from someone soon. Cheers guys. Damo and Faye.

UNDERCOVER HQ

HOT 202
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BERLINA 202
Oil

YOU COULD TRY CHANGING THE OIL PRESSURE SWITCH SEE IF THAT MAKES A DIFFRECE.:idea3:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Um which gauge are you refering to? there is no factory oil pressure gauge on a vp only a low pressure light. I'd be worried if i wasnt getting over way over 50psi oil pressure should be about 80psi above 2000rpm and half that at idle

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Um which gauge are you refering to? there is no factory oil pressure gauge on a vp only a low pressure light. I'd be worried if i wasnt getting over way over 50psi oil pressure should be about 80psi above 2000rpm and half that at idle

Have you even got one installed to know what they sit at?

Pretty sure 80PSI is close to spinning bearings mate. Mine idles at 10PSI and cruises at 40PSI can get to about 75PSI if i flatfoot it. which is normal for 5.0L's, they run pretty low pressures, especially at idle.

Infact the repair manual states idle pressure to be 48kPa (7 PSI) at 500RPM and between 275-414kPa (40 PSI - 60 PSI) at 2000RPM at operating temp on a V8.

The V6's are 275kPa @ 1850 RPM.

Damo, check that the signal wire from the sender isnt shorting to anything. if it earths you'll get max reading.

Last edited:

DamoFayeVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
Cheers guys I'll check its not earthing, I know VP's didn't come with an oil pressure gauge, its after market. Basically apart from the chassis and body the whole thing has been replaced with HSV. Only a six but chipped up, Extractors, the usuall fruit so the whole dash and gauges are HSV... gonna go sus it out. Will let you's know.