Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Pressure switch removal

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
How? I have read people saying it's an easy job with socket or wrench. I beg to differ. There is no room to move a wrench or ring spanner. So I looked to get a socket. It seems to be a 1 1/16 or 27 mm. But it has to be a 6 point deep socket not a 12 point one because they do not attach - do you think I can find a 27 mm 6 point deep socket in Adelaide? Everywhere I go they are 12 point.
So I looked at Repco, they have a specific socket 27 mm oil pressure switch socket, great, only it doesn't go deep enough, unbelievable.
So I went and got the one off of Total Tools website https://www.totaltools.com.au/oil-pressure-switch-socket-25-27mm-1-1-1-16

It is exactly the same as the Repco one, probably made by same factory. It fits perfectly if you go from behind the switch, unfortunately you need to go over top of the plastic terminal not from behind. It's not bloody deep enough, crazy to think someone designed this socket and didn't test with a VT Commodore the biggest seller of the era.

So how do you guys get this darn switch off?

Note, I believe the VZ has a different shape and can be used with a 12 point socket.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
On a Vt V6?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm sure I've done it at some stage but can't remember how, fairly sure it was with a spanner of some sort though. I do have some short large sized open ended spanners that make life a bit easier in tight spaces.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I know on my vz ss i just used a 1/16 socket are you sure the vx one is different
Hey mate. Yes I have VZ and VT. I am sure you mean 1 and 1/16 too, 1/16 is pretty small. 1 and 1/16 is same as 27mm

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I presume from your post that you are replacing your oil pressure switch.
Wouldn't it have been easier to take the new switch with you when buying the socket?
At least you could have made sure 100% that the socket you purchased fitted the switch correctly.
A 1/2" or 3/4" drive deep six point 1-1/16th or 27mm socket will do the job

Not trying to be a dick or have a go at you....Just stating the obvious
If you are having trouble maybe you should just bite the bullet and pay a mechanic to do the job for you, because in all honesty it really is one of the easiest jobs to do on an ecotec......besides an oil & filter change.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Wouldn't it have been easier to take the new switch with you when buying the socket?
I did mate/ I went to Repco and turned it down because it didn't fit. Then Total Tools had none in store had to be ordered online and picked up instore, only then did I see it's the same as Repco part

A 1/2" or 3/4" drive deep six point 1-1/16th or 27mm socket will do the job
I know. Been to Autobarn, Sprint Auto, Supercheap Auto, Repco, Total Tools, Bunnings, all 12 point

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I already know a 12 point would not work since I had a 12 point and a 6 point socket at 1 1/16 and only the 6 point would grip. I still needed the deep socket version not the standard, so I went knowing what I needed.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Have a look for deep impact sockets they are all 6 point...supercrap use to sell em individually