Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil pump

njames

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
hi all,
I’m currently in the process of converting an eco top end to l67 and installing a xp cam in the process while the engine is out, just a quick question regarding the oil pump.

I’ve got to get the machined oil pump cover to fit the double row timing chain so should I just buy the full oil pump kit with the cover? do the oil pumps commonly wear and need replacing? Common sense says I should just get the full kit but just wanted to see what advice I could get from here before ordering, and help is appreciated cheers guys

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I haven't heard of them failing a lot but like anything it's a mechanical part that sometimes do fail. I have heard it more so on V8s. But for the price of a pump on top of what you have already spent it's good insurance.
To me the question is not whether to replace the pump, but rather should you get a better one, since you will be revving the engine above normal operation.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The V6 pumps are generally very reliable and I doubt it will be worn unless you've had an engine failure and a lot of debris has gone through it.