Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil sender fitting

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hey all,

Just want to check that I am correct in thinking that: the port for the oil light switch in the pump housing is 1/4" NPT.

reason: I am currently organising ordering a Tee fitting and/or adapters so that I can run the dummy light switch AND a pressure gauge sender.

all this talk of AN, NPT, -6, metric, ORB is getting me a little confused.
I have a tee fitting already but am quite sure that it is some form of metric :( and therefore useless

also, will AN and NPT screw together safely? (or at all)

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Port should be 1/8npt I thought.....
AN and npt dont screw togethor....

500rwhp corn juiced & boosted ls1

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
npt and bhp threads change pitch so they seal when you tighten them.

AN threads seal on the flare on the end

metric, UNC, UNF dont seal. so they need a washer or rubber ring

the im pretty sure enroe is right about the 1/8npt.

edit* they dont change pitch, the get wider. or something... the more you tighten the tighter they seal.

here y'are
npt-thread-taper.jpg

why dont you just use the same wire for the guage and light?

Last edited:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
proflow: PFE139-06-06BK is a 1/8th NPT male to dash 6 AN with a female 1/8th NPT port. so you can screw it into the oil pump port, the secrew your sender into it, the have a dash fitting for your guage?

PFE917-02BK is a 3 way female 1/8th NPT. you can use this with PFE911-02BK (male to male) screw the male into the sender hole, the female 3-way into the male, then your 2 senders into the 3 way.

i dunno, just spitballing. ive been going crosseyed over that proflow catalogue for the last week trying to get all my fittings for the silverado brakes and power steering lines.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
npt and bhp threads change pitch so they seal when you tighten them.
edit* they dont change pitch, the get wider. or something... the more you tighten the tighter they seal.

Just to clarify, that's not really right. NPT (National Pipe Thread) is the US version of the BSP (British Standard Pipe). They are similar but slightly different in thread pitch and not interchangeable. To be honest I think the yanks just did it to be different.

To seal they dont change pitch, but the thread is cut tapered, quote "The taper on NPT threads allows them to form a seal when torqued as the flanks of the threads compress against each other"

Just to confuse the issue though, with BSP, there is also a version that is not tapered, its parallel, and doesnt use the thread itself to seal, you need to use a seal or sealant. Strictly speaking BSP tapered is called BSPT, and BSP parallel is called BSPT, but loosely people just refer to BSP.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
1/8 Bspt .907mm pitch 28 thread per inch.
1/8Npt .940mm pitch 27 thread per inch.
Both 60 degree taper.
Can use them both into soft metals but I wouldn't recommend it..

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
they say BSP stands for "bigger shifter please"

As a diesel/hydraulic fitter, I confirm your statement to be true!!! ;)

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Just get the Y piece CAPA use for the oil feed on there blower kits or just take out the oil pressure sender and take that into bolt shop to get Y piece with same thread !!! U might need a female female 1/8 NPT not sure !!!
And have u checked there is enough room for the oil pressure sender to fit in there it's a tight area there??

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Thanks for everyone's inputs

Pic:
Autometer Gauge Sender unit with adapter (sizes as per instructions also shown) and on the right is the stock idiot light switch
20130923_181902.jpg
Both are 18 Threads per inch, the Gauge sender before it screws into the adapter is 27tpi.

thanks enroh, the 'wrong' tee piece I got must be BSP. It's good for 2-3 threads, then it's just wrong.
HSVmanta: I know space is tight, but I've dummied it up and got some ideas.