Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oils ain't oils Sol

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've seen a video where the catalyst blew out the end of the exhaust pipes on the dyno.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I've seen a video where the catalyst blew out the end of the exhaust pipes on the dyno.
Yes, we've had a supercharged VE spit the cats out of the exhaust on the dyno!

I've discovered a few empty cats and a couple of exhausts partially blocked with broken up cat. The worst cat issue I've seen was a modified XR6 Turbo Falcon break the cat up on a track day and suck bits into the turbo destroying it.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Yes, we've had a supercharged VE spit the cats out of the exhaust on the dyno!

I've discovered a few empty cats and a couple of exhausts partially blocked with broken up cat. The worst cat issue I've seen was a modified XR6 Turbo Falcon break the cat up on a track day and suck bits into the turbo destroying it.
How does material from the cat travel against the exhaust flow and into a turbine?

OEM cats are mostly that ceramic stuff that crumbles when hit, and block easy, aftermarket are typically a coated metal material that is a nightmare to remove, but, they stand up to heaps of abuse

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The worst cat issue I've seen was a modified XR6 Turbo Falcon break the cat up on a track day and suck bits into the turbo destroying it.
GM has a technical service bulletins for LS3’s which goes into checking the cat converter ceramic for damage along with the cylinder bores for related scoring and intakes for related crud…

How does material from the cat travel against the exhaust flow and into a turbine?
I don’t know and wouldn’t have thought it could but it seems to be a thing on LS3’s according to what I’ve read from GM.

PS: here’s one TSB which outlines how converter ceramic can make its way into the combustion chamber during valve overlap but it’s not the one I’ve read previously…

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Probably on overrun at high revs with a closed throttle. I've heard of it with turbo inline 6 BMW's but the Falcon, I saw the bits of cat biscuit in the turbo housing when they disassembled it. The cat was an aftermarket 3.5" 100 cell they told me.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Probably on overrun at high revs with a closed throttle. I've heard of it with turbo inline 6 BMW's but the Falcon, I saw the bits of cat biscuit in the turbo housing when they disassembled it. The cat was an aftermarket 3.5" 100 cell they told me.
Backfire perhaps. Too much crackle, and Pop!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I have been buying Mobil1 through GL Lubricants on ebay. I have not paid attention to price of oil elsewhere. I checked out Supercheap and could not believe how pricey it is !!! Probably more than $10 extra per 5L since I bought some couple years back !

I usually get Castrol Edge A3/B4 1/2 price when they do sales...but even Penrite has gone up in price.
HPR5 @$85 for 5L.

Will stick to GL Lubricants :)

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I usually get Castrol Edge A3/B4 1/2 price when they do sales...
I have about 50L of it sitting in my garage... all bought at less than $40 for 5L, some as low as $32

Thankfully both my cars use it.
2nd choice is hpr5

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I have about 50L of it sitting in my garage... all bought at less than $40 for 5L, some as low as $32

Thankfully both my cars use it.
2nd choice is hpr5

Do you use it in the commodore ?

Castrol lube guide does not recommend it for LS3. I am not sure why....

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Do you use it in the commodore ?

Castrol lube guide does not recommend it for LS3. I am not sure why....
Yes. It's a great oil. They dont recommend it 'cause its only API SL rated instead of SN that our cars allegedly (by the manufacturer) require.
It meets a3/b4 which is equivalent to SN - the reason it doesnt mean API SN is because 5w-30 is a protected viscosity and it has too much zinc for that grade.
The equivalent 5w-40 is API SN rated.
Just makes no sense.