Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oils and Things, Oil Tech Discussion

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Still feeling sorry for myself after straining my back/hip yesterday I'm youtube surfing, this might be off interest to some.
If we want to talk or debate the subject happy to create it's own thread (cause we all know the subject of oil is controversial).
Setting fire to the internet today I see.

IMG_4854.jpeg

Edit: Not my thread. @Immortality created it from another thread. I’m just an innocent bystander. The below post is the actual start of the thread and the quoted post above it the source of it originally.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Found these video's quite interesting. Watch and discuss.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I never used to prefill but I was speaking to a garage who said they do it so I started to do the same when I had the old VR ute. It does turn the oil light off a couple of seconds sooner.
With the second vid I wish the blokes would get to the point rather than ramble on.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
After watching that 'bad idea ?' video which had more words and charts info than clearly resolving the main question, I either missed how to prefill a V6 Alloytec cannister, or how to prefill an old Holden 6 type which is fitted sideways.

However, I will be prefilling my LS1 filter in future, seems like a good idea. :)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Controversy!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i never pre fill not for any reason just because i dont but i see nothing wrong with filling it anyway, not all oil goes thru the filter anyway so its not a drama and the new oil going in is always going to be cleaner then what just came out, also no point filling it if the filter is on the side of an engine as it will half poor out when fitting anyway, but really if ur logging data on my new engine with unfilled filter first start took from the first rpm at cranking to 60psi pressure was about 2 sec and it has 10psi within 1 sec

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
This was interesting and a simple way to check. Having 10lb per 1000rpm is an easy-ish method to determine what weight you need. Need a laptop and software to test but I think this would be a good way to work it out.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I always pre-fill even on engines with sideways mounted oil filters, there is a technique and once you get good at it you spill very little oil. On the V6 motors I definitely notice a difference, have tried without filling the filter and you definitely notice the engine is noisy for a few seconds before it builds oil pressure, pre-fill the oil filter and that is practically gone.

This was interesting and a simple way to check. Having 10lb per 1000rpm is an easy-ish method to determine what weight you need. Need a laptop and software to test but I think this would be a good way to work it out.

That doesn't work on the V6 motors, they idle with 30-40psi. 10psi at idle and those engines would be real unhappy.