Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oils

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
matty193 said:
Go the Penrite HPR 15W60....semi-synthetic and runs very well

Off topic. I put Penrite HPR 15W60 and the day I serviced it (put it in) I noticed the car had a rough ideal. I changed 4 spark plugs (thought they were faulty) but nothing, took it to the mechanic they said it was the o2 sensors paid $180 all up drove it for the next week still **** ideal. went back there flaming, they said its my crank angle sensor plus a wire was faulty $120 later (last week) and its still running like **** (this week). Went back there almost chucking chairs at people and they said "your ideal needs re-adjusting."

Now im starting to think maybe it’s the oil?? anyone have an answer??

Jecs

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Jecs said:
Off topic. I put Penrite HPR 15W60 and the day I serviced it (put it in) I noticed the car had a rough ideal. I changed 4 spark plugs (thought they were faulty) but nothing, took it to the mechanic they said it was the o2 sensors paid $180 all up drove it for the next week still **** ideal. went back there flaming, they said its my crank angle sensor plus a wire was faulty $120 later (last week) and its still running like **** (this week). Went back there almost chucking chairs at people and they said "your ideal needs re-adjusting."

Now im starting to think maybe it’s the oil?? anyone have an answer??

Jecs

An oil change will cost you $40.. See how it goes..

How about your leads though? When were they last changed?

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
not a bad idea to change the filter either,

back on the topic according to Street commodores write up on oils,
Valvoline penrite, royal purple and castrol all good for price paid

Mobil 1 = s***

also I have read on this forum bad reports from using magnatec, good for jap cars no good for VS'

just my opinion................

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i work at repco on saturdays so i get everything cheaper (not that im a cheap ass, im testing all oils) but ive done three services on my car within the time ive had it (owned it 3 years, bought it with 155 thous now that i got my P's ive only done just over 175 thous K's)my second service i used GTX 3 and changed everything, it ran like a dream... now my car is running to lean/rich causin it to spit out black crap out the exhaust

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Use the Magnatec crap if ya feel the need it's a free world and it's your engine.

I know the Nulon works, it's in my engine right now, the same type engine is under your bonnet.

BTW I did test the others, personally including filters every month, I had a rough idea on what worked best, as they say, don't knock it unless you have tried it.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VRAddiction said:
why did you only change 4 plugs?????? you should always change them in a set!!!!!

1st service plugs x6, cheap oil filter, cheap oil, fuel filter
2nd service leads, plugs x6, cheap oil filter, good oil
3rd service plugs x6 (i thought i over did four of them causing them to crack) hi flow air filter, expensive oil filter, good oil

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
I used GTX3 and the engine ran fine but was a bit noisy, then switched to Magnetec, it's quiter and runs fine. My next oil will be Castrol Edge 10w60, espensive but recomended for ecotecs.

cacaman

Red is Faster
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Acclaim
I use valvoline XLD plus 20 - 50 API SL/CF which is the improved version on the xld it has a SL oil rating which is apparantly a higher refined oil. Also i add an oil stabilizer from "Lucas" which help the oil matain its viscosity and elesticity which is good especialy during dry starts in the morning help keep engine parts oiled rather than it all acumilating in the sump, but this is all what they claim.
Any one else a product such as this?