Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Old cars were more fun

excalibur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
i really do agree with you calaber all the beeps and whistles that come out of the wifes vz really make driving my vp so much more enjoyable

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
speaking of the warning tunes, the vt's air bag warning tune reminds me of a old tv show but i cant figure out which one and that irritates me more the the actually warning itself lol

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Holy ****. If your guaranteeing that, please take the all away now. Natural selection at its finest.

(For the record, lol)

And I would whole-heartedly supprt such selection, just tell me the date so I can be in the middle of the bush somewhere with the nearest road a long way off.

thats just stupid. if anything, this electronic crap is what is causing people to become stupider in the first place. lets see women doing their makeup while driving when they have to deal with a heavy clutch and shifter, manual steering and no abs. if people dont know what to do in an emergency, then they should learn, instead of relying on some microchips to do all the work for them.
people not knowing how their cars work are causing plenty of accidents. recent case would be the kid that removed his keys to save fuel. people need to learn basics like that before they should even be allowed behind the wheel.

I agree, read the last line of my post. Maybe they should make a car that really cheap to buy that has a modern day crumple-chassis but everything else old style, no electronic anything, and make everyone have to learn to drive in that. Also make people take a course in basic car knowledge, so they bloody well know what thier car does and how to work with it.
And I also agree that a defensive driving course should be a requirement for a licence, if they don't pass then they can bloody well keep sitting it till they do. But this raises a whole new topic that is getting off topic to the OP and will only go downhill so I think we should leave it here. My end statement is that I agree with you.

Pete SS

Resident Pomme
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS M6
it's a bit biased asking this on a car enthusiast forum. Go down your local Coles (other supermarkets are available) and ask "do you agree with all the computer saftey devices and warnings on your car?" and the answer will be "yes" from 95% of the people. Car makers realise this and therefore make cars with the gadgetry on them. For a car with no bells and whistles you need a Westfield, Lotus, etc. They're not really daily drivers though.

I personally don't mind the warnings that are on my VU but there isn't that many. When I upgrade hopefully it'll be a car that has the ability to turn off things like traction controll etc.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I can't really agree with this because I tend to rather drive my wifes Fiesta than my VP :p it's much faster and more stealth for driving around fast as you can within the law. I can get across town right on the limits of grip with the traction control light flashing at me much much quicker than I could in the VP which would involve alot of sideways action and lots of noise trying to get anywhere near the same pace :p. So it's a pretty good thing. Plus just the lights being 5 times brigther, the chasis 10 times stiffer, twice as much grip, things like that. Despite not being able to destroy tyres at part throttle (or any throttle lol) In the end it's just better

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I can't really agree with this because I tend to rather drive my wifes Fiesta than my VP :p it's much faster and more stealth for driving around fast as you can within the law. I can get across town right on the limits of grip with the traction control light flashing at me much much quicker than I could in the VP which would involve alot of sideways action and lots of noise trying to get anywhere near the same pace :p. So it's a pretty good thing. Plus just the lights being 5 times brigther, the chasis 10 times stiffer, twice as much grip, things like that. Despite not being able to destroy tyres at part throttle (or any throttle lol) In the end it's just better

Foamy

The thread doesn't relate to driving older cars - it's more a case of owning them and carrying out your own maintenance, plus the fact that they are loaded with "extras" that a lot of us "enthusiasts" might not want.

I didn't say older cars were better - just that they were more fun (to own, I guess), even though they were less comfortable, less safe, less economical etc. They were just so much simpler and didn't have shitloads of useless "features".

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Old cars mean needing to know a few minor things about how they run, admitedly as much as I love the old cars, when I drive the VZ with ABS, ESP and the rest of it, I know there is a lot less chance of losing it if something unexpected happened. In saying that, after 20 years or so that the seat belt law has been in, you'de think people would be smart enough to be able to remember to do it withput a beeper, its for you own safety. Other than that, maybe drivers are becoming worse. I had my 20 yo cousin drive me home in the VH after I had a few too many to drive myself and in the wet he was all over the place, spinning the wheels on take off a couple of times, slightly sideways at a couple of corners and this is not due to bad driving as he is a very safe driver in my opinion, however with a VY for his first car, he didnt know what to expect witout all the safety gear driving the car for him. Unless they like the older cars, the younger drivers these days will not know what it was like to drive without all the electronics as how many cars these days are on the road without them and it getting less every year. Go the old cars for fun and experience, definatelt the new cars for overall safety and increasing stupidity and people who rely on computers to think for them.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
im having all sorts of fun with my project ute, 1979 model isuzu kb20, it has am radio thats about the extent of its bells and whistles, maybe you should get a project car calaber. something to play with in your spare time.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Foamy

The thread doesn't relate to driving older cars - it's more a case of owning them and carrying out your own maintenance, plus the fact that they are loaded with "extras" that a lot of us "enthusiasts" might not want.

I didn't say older cars were better - just that they were more fun (to own, I guess), even though they were less comfortable, less safe, less economical etc. They were just so much simpler and didn't have shitloads of useless "features".

Oh well I guess I agree with that so long as you discount anything made during the "ugly years" when we had heavy emmisions laws on leaded fuel. Those things are a far worse nightmare of the hose kind than any amount of plugs on a 09 car :). I don't really see the new cars as more complex than the old ones apart from things HQ and earlier. A VP is just as simple to work on as a HQ really. Underneath the engine cover on a ls1 is still just a very basic engine

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Oh well I guess I agree with that so long as you discount anything made during the "ugly years" when we had heavy emmisions laws on leaded fuel. Those things are a far worse nightmare of the hose kind than any amount of plugs on a 09 car :). I don't really see the new cars as more complex than the old ones apart from things HQ and earlier. A VP is just as simple to work on as a HQ really. Underneath the engine cover on a ls1 is still just a very basic engine

Mate, I'm not having a go at you by any means, but I have to laugh when I hear someone refer to a VP as an "old" car or even as a "new" car. Within the context of this thread, it's definitely an "in-betweener", about mid way between current models and true (pre-ADR 27A) golden oldies. You're right about the early emissions models - the HX was without doubt the worst full sized Holden ever released (for its time), but anything prior to emissions legislation was really simple stuff.

Yes, the basic mechanicals of an LS1 are no more complex probably than a 350 mouse, but it's the crap you have to remove to even see the LS1 that makes life less fun.