Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Older drivers make mistakes too.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I believe that the entire licensing system, regardless of which state you reside in, is in need of a major overhaul. Why each state has different rules defies logic and it can lead to accidents where an interstate motorist breaks the laws in another state. Licensing reviews should be carried out at regular intervals during a driver's lifetime and medical checks should be introduced much earlier than they are at present.

Just how different are they from state to state (territory)? My understanding is that most of the road rules are universal with only some local differences such as the rules to accomodate trams in Melbourne and differences in the speed limits for drivers on less than a full license. There is a set of Australian Road Rules.

My father in law lost his license on medical grounds at the age of 81 but he should have had the sense to surrender it years earlier. His judgement of distance and speed was seriously impaired and his car bore many scars from parking lot scrapes. He ram-raided the garage wall in our house one day when he hit the accellerator instead of the brake and decided to reverse into a truck at a petrol station on another occasion after refuelling. Talking to him about surrendering the license met with stony silence. How many more are there out there just like him - those who maintain their right to freedom of movement, to the potential detriment of the safety of others?

That sounds clear cut but it can be a difficult call because older people often rely on a car to access medical care (which may need to be done more urgently can could be accessed by a taxi yet wouldn't otherwise warrant an ambulance) and to maintain social ties and their independence. There are benefits to society for older people to be able to drive. We've had the discussion before on here I think but there may be a case for a "senior" restricted licence, say limited to local areas or set routes.

(Wasn't there a motor home driven into a pool, while being manouevred out of a driveway recently in the US, presumably by a more senoir person?)

One of the things that, apparently, gets more difficult to do with age is to learn or relearn new things. I wonder if that was a factor here with the unfamiliar car, perhaps made worse by the fatigue of a long trip. The psychologists that study such things know that there is a danger period after an apparent or real hazard (in any task), where the operator relaxes mentally after a period of extra focus eg. there can be more danger crossing a road just past a pedestrian crossing than before it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Just how different are they from state to state (territory)? My understanding is that most of the road rules are universal with only some local differences such as the rules to accomodate trams in Melbourne and differences in the speed limits for drivers on less than a full license. There is a set of Australian Road Rules.

Let me give you a blatant example. U-turns at traffic lights. Perfectly legal in Qld, totally illegal in NSW. Can't say what applies in other states. That one alone has the potential for serious collisions if a Qlder tries to do it in NSW.

The "Australian Road Rules" are a joke when different states adhere to differing legislation like this.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Where vehicles are concerned there are no accidents, they are crashes. Accidents are unavoidable, say if a kangaroo jumps out in front of you, or a tree falls on your car. Crashes happen because they are caused by someone.

You would think P platers would be better rule followers, not necessarily better drivers, but following the rules more closely as they have just obtained their licences.

It frustrates the hell out of me that so many people down here are ignorant and arrogant when it comes to the simplest of road rules. A stop sign means stop. An indicator is there to indicate your intention, not your action. Merging is exactly that, merging, not racing to be in front.

It's sad to see the rider didn't make it. I ride, and this is a concern every time I or we are out, we just don't know if the car waiting to pull out has actually seen us.

U-turns at lights are legal here only where there is a sign stating U-turn permitted.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Let me give you a blatant example. U-turns at traffic lights. Perfectly legal in Qld, totally illegal in NSW. Can't say what applies in other states. That one alone has the potential for serious collisions if a Qlder tries to do it in NSW.

The "Australian Road Rules" are a joke when different states adhere to differing legislation like this.

I have to back NAAF on this one. I have no doubt there are plenty of rules that are different, but that isnt one of them. U-turns at traffic lights are only legal if there is a 'u-turn permitted' sign, and those are in the minority. The same kind of thing as a hook turn in Melbourne (still one of the wierdest manouvres you can do on a public road in oz lol), you can only do it if a sign allows you to.

However, if you were from NSW and not paying attention, someone chucking a u-turn in front of you when you expected them to keep going round the corner normally could easily catch you out and give you someone to run into.. so even those little things can have an effect, agreed.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My mother became hesitant to drive and didn't like getting behind the wheel but due to where they retired to, she had to relearn.

I can only think that maybe the driver was distracted by the new car. I know I have been.

And if the info is correct and the motorcyclist has past away, then that's sad.

Motorcycles just don't protect like a car unfortunately.

Sent from my HTC ARIA using Tapatalk II.II.IV

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I can confirm that he died in Royal Brisbane Hospital this morning. RIP.

pinky1

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden berlina
I am so sickened by your comments" just a bit of an accident" and ""ït livened up what was otherwise a boring day in my little town" you sick f##k a man is lying on the ground dying and that is what you say have you no descression you should be ashamed of yourself i was there and helped at the scene it was horrendous and no!!! he did not make it he died at 5.30 am the next morning i hope you think before you post next time we in this town do not find this kind of thing livens up our day at all it is so sad r.i.p Greg and yes he did have a real name dakster

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
When I made those comments I had no idea how badly he was hurt. I was also at the scene, although obviously not as close as you I guess. It was quite exciting having a helicopter landing on the highway 100m away, and there were at least 100 onlookers so it certainly did liven up the day, for all but those involved. 'We in this town' were mostly there, checking it out as most people do when a helicopter lands on the highway, and I am also one of those 'in this town'.

My comments were in no way intended to offend, and I am deeply sorry you have taken it that way. I didnt know his name, no, but I certainly do have the deepest sympathy for him and those he knew. I said that multiple times.

I'm not ashamed of myself at all, but I am happy to unreservedly apologise to you and anyone else who took offense.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS

Well I wouldn't suggest putting that theory to the test in Qld..... unless you want a ticket
no u-turns at traffic lights permitted unless there is a 'u-turn permitted' sign present

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I am so sickened by your comments" just a bit of an accident" and ""ït livened up what was otherwise a boring day in my little town" you sick f##k a man is lying on the ground dying and that is what you say have you no descression you should be ashamed of yourself i was there and helped at the scene it was horrendous and no!!! he did not make it he died at 5.30 am the next morning i hope you think before you post next time we in this town do not find this kind of thing livens up our day at all it is so sad r.i.p Greg and yes he did have a real name dakster

that's a bit rough mate, I think we've all been guilty of underestimating the seriousness of an accident. He wasn't disrespectful and paid his respects to the victim once he realised how serious it was, even before your reply.