Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Omega VE Sportwagon MY10 3.0L engine issues - need your advice

gprp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sportswagon Omega MY10 SIDI
Dear Forumites ,

I own a 2 y.o. Omega VE Sportwagon 3L SIDI engine. I've noticed some strong vibration on driveway followed by a check engine alarm approx 3 moths ago .
I went immediately to my local dealership ( Watson Holden ) and after quick t/s the technician has confirmed that the problem is associated with Carbon build-up on a manifold . Apparently , this problem is relatively common with SIDI engines and all they need to do is to clean the manifold and to test the vehicle. Well, left a car for a couple of days and supposedly the issue has been rectified . I've been advised that it won't come back within 2-3 years .

The same problem occurred a week ago . The fuel consumption also climbed to 10.5L ( usually between 9.8 -10.2 L) .In addition, I felt a loss of power twice in Bayswater ( the vehicle doesn't accelerate on a relatively hilly road ).
I've scheduled another service , however this time it will be a long discussion with the Service Manager .

Please your advice per below :

1) Obviously , the vehicle is still under warranty . I reckon the best outcome for me would be to get a new engine if the problem continues to re appear . However, my common sense says that Holden will do whatever is necessary to prevent the replacement .
How the hierarchy within Holden dealerships works ? Who can endorse the engine replacement ? For instance, it might be a Regional Manager above the service Manager etc

2) What is the liability of Holden dealership under warranty ? I mean if I decide to sell a vehicle within 5-6 months and the same problem still exists ? I don't want to lie to a potential buyer and to sell a vehicle with the ongoing problems , so is there any liability in terms of loss of value due to lack of proper maintenance ?

3) Is there any official professional institution that able to impose the necessary action on a dealership?

I guess it will assist me to determine the best course of action in my case . Any advice is appreciated – I feel it will be a difficult fight .

Thanks in advance
gprp

Mikepc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx2 Calais 5.7
It's not build up in the manifold it's carbon build up on the back of the valves an it's the district service manager thatprovesprove an engine but it's highly unlikely he will, Subaru have the same problem on the boxer engines they need a top end clean every few services maybe something Holden will have to start doing

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Initial diagnosis could have been carbon build up in the throttle body stopping the throttle plate from fully closing.

This shouldnt affect power delivery though it will throw an engine light and cause idle issues.

Has the check engine light illuminated again?

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Engine replacement?

The only way they'd do that is if it falls off, an then it'd be the same engine....

gprp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you for your prompt responses .

Mikepc - you are absolutely correct . I appreciate your comment about Subaru - food for thoughts.
Ricey - indeed the check engine light illuminated twice when I've started the engine ( combined with some strong vibration ).
I've forgotten to mentioned that I've noticed white fumes coming out of exhaust prior to the first occurrence when the weather wasn't cold.
A dealership technician said that it's perfectly normal .... Not sure if correct .

I've checked the previous services job description .

" ECM light on and car running rough at idle and on slight" .
Checked for codes and found P0300 engine missfire detected .
Removed manifold and inspected . Found valves to have excessive carbon build up .
Cleaned as required . Road tested . Cleared codes , all OK .

The question is simple - I am not sure if the dealership is the right address ... I reckon they'll try to drag me to the best of their ability until the warranty expires . Do you know if Holden gets involved directly in this type of situations ?

Cheers
gprp

Papahutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSVR My16 Black Sedan
What sort of petrol are you using?? Perhaps every 3 or 4 tansk use premium ULP 98 and give it a good clean out, perhaps that would stop the carbon build up on the valves?? I have 3.6 SIDI and only use PULP98 and have never had an issue, eco is 8.1 on highway, 10.5 - 11.5 in town depending on traffic

gprp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Papahutch ,

I used Shell V -Power during the first year . I haven't seen any major improvements . My fuel consumption in town was 10 - 10.1 , moving to 91 brought it to 10.2-10.3 . The question is why the build up occurs ? This is a 2 y.o vehicle , odometer is 38,000 km , normal driving conditions . I always use Shell .

BR
gprp

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Missfire can be caused by many things, thats the first Ive heard of carbon on the valves being the cause.

How many kms on the odometer?

Mikepc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx2 Calais 5.7
Holden will get involved if u make enough noise

gprp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Missfire can be caused by many things, thats the first Ive heard of carbon on the valves being the cause.

How many kms on the odometer?

38,000 km

Holden will get involved if u make enough noise

I will make enough noise for sure :)