Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Omega won't start sometimes

curtiss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega VE
Help....
My Omega has occasionally but more often lately will not start no ticking, has power to lights,radio everything in car except no start.
we changed the battery about 6 months ago,just a supercheap auto one and have been told by another Omega owner that you are supposed to take it to an auto electrician or back to Holden to get them to reprogramme it?
Is this correct? I did ring Holden and ask them all the guy said was you will have to bring it in and we will run diagnostic on it cost you $150 to do so.
I have taken it to my mechanic and he has run it through his machine it comes up with nothing everything is fine?
I did read somewhere to move the connections on the battery and this seems to work but really would like to get to the bottom of it.
Does anyone know anything? Or have had similar problems please

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Man I've heard some weird stuff about simple battery changes in the VE. It's a battery. Only difference is it's in the boot and needs to be vented to outside. No reprogramming, no special tools, no providing external power or whatever other voodoo people are saying. Just make sure it meets specs.

What I would check in your case is that the battery meets or exceeds the standard battery's specs (will say in the owner's manual). Check the battery is charged. Then check the connections/terminals are clean and secure. Then check earth points are clean and secure. If you haven't found any issue yet, my next guess would be either the starter motor or neutral/clutch switch (depending which you've got). If it doesn't think it's in park for the auto or the clutch is depressed on manual it won't try to start. Then it starts getting trickier if all that is good. Possibly a faulty ECU. But that should show up on a scan. Hopefully it's something simple. I may have forgotten something else simple to check, but that's where I'd begin.

How do you get it started when it plays up? Does a jump start do it, or do you try again later and it works?

seveprim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Had a very similar problem, its really simple but crazy fix, it is actually the air intake valve getting stuck, the ECU is trying to home the valve before kicking over the starter, but there is carbon and dirt on the butterfly and so the ECU waits and waits no starter... take you air intake off right at the engine clean out the butter fly valve (carb cleaner) and manually move it (ignition off) reassemble and it should start every time after a good clean, took me a day to work it out....PS It will not show up as any fault code either.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Had a very similar problem, its really simple but crazy fix, it is actually the air intake valve getting stuck, the ECU is trying to home the valve before kicking over the starter, but there is carbon and dirt on the butterfly and so the ECU waits and waits no starter... take you air intake off right at the engine clean out the butter fly valve (carb cleaner) and manually move it (ignition off) reassemble and it should start every time after a good clean, took me a day to work it out....PS It will not show up as any fault code either.

Did you find that by fluke? I would never have thought about checking this lol.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Help....
I did read somewhere to move the connections on the battery and this seems to work

This sounds related to the battery / terminals. Everything tightened? Any splits in the wires?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Mine does same thing on the odd occasion. First go just a click and nothing. Second go starts up fine.
Sometimes even on the first fonit will sit for a few seconds doing nothing then suddenly start up like nothing is wrong.
Been doing that say every 6 months last 3 years on same battery...