Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

One key will start car, one key won't.

Gazcan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra CX6
Has anyone had one key that starts their car fine and the other that won't start the car at all?
I went to start my VZ Adventra on xmas day and the engine wouldn't fire up. The starter motor would crank over but the engine wouldn't fire. Kept getting either an Engine Check warning or a Transmission Check warning. After about an hour of denial I thought I'd have a go with the spare key and the engine started perfectly - and has done with the spare key ever since.
Thinking this was most probably just a battery issue with the key, I finally got around to visiting my local Holden dealer last week to get it sorted.
Well, I was fairly astonished when they phoned me later in the day to say they'd run a few tests on it and found that the error codes coming up indicated that the ECM is rooted and it is only by some fluke that the spare key starts the engine at all.
Is this for real? I don't understand how the ECM can need replacing when one key works fine. I'm thinking about getting a second opinion on this from the local garage around the corner.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Take the key and vehicle to a reputable Locksmith with experience in re-coding/programing vehicle keys etc.

VZSV857

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 Built L77 M6 430rwhp
Probably a flat battery in the key. Highly doubt ECM if the other key starts the car every time.

Batteries arent changeable without breaking key open and desoldering, better off buying a new one.

Gazcan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra CX6
Thanks for the replies. Got an Autolock guy in to reprogram the key as recommended and what do you know? Appears all good now.
But, due to the age of the vehicle he did recommend I keep an eye out for any random electrical events as this may be an indicator to a sick ECM. Fingers crossed....

D

Don123

typical Holden dealer. " Lets tell him that the ECM is rooted and charge him $2000.00". I don't trust the Holden dealers.
Has anyone had one key that starts their car fine and the other that won't start the car at all?
I went to start my VZ Adventra on xmas day and the engine wouldn't fire up. The starter motor would crank over but the engine wouldn't fire. Kept getting either an Engine Check warning or a Transmission Check warning. After about an hour of denial I thought I'd have a go with the spare key and the engine started perfectly - and has done with the spare key ever since.
Thinking this was most probably just a battery issue with the key, I finally got around to visiting my local Holden dealer last week to get it sorted.
Well, I was fairly astonished when they phoned me later in the day to say they'd run a few tests on it and found that the error codes coming up indicated that the ECM is rooted and it is only by some fluke that the spare key starts the engine at all.
Is this for real? I don't understand how the ECM can need replacing when one key works fine. I'm thinking about getting a second opinion on this from the local garage around the corner.