Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

One Piece Drive Shaft, VS Statesman?

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
Cheers, Im going to order one right away lol. Never been touched..... I have no idea why the mechanics/driveshaft guys/diff place never did it!

Whats the next best brand Centre bearing if I can't get my hands on a OEM one?
is it worth doing all the UNI joints again anyway as I will take it all out and just dam well do it myself.

the 'bend' in the tailshaft is done via a CV joint which holds the 2 halves of the tailshaft together
the bearing supports the front of the back shaft just after the CV joint

ppl think replacing the bearing is the fix. But if the CV joint is flogged out, that will allow for shaft movement
which will kill the bearing (again and again and again)

replaced this...?
note VR/VS use TWO different ones !

CV855A-1.jpg

from...
[/URL]

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
Correct. On IRS cars the drive shaft does not move (or not very much). You'll also note on the IRS cars the centre bearing is offset to one side ever so slightly. Have a look at the centre mount on VR/VS models and you will see it marked IRS and SEMI with arrows. the offset is required on IRS cars as you need a small operating angle over a uni joint for it to work correctly. On semi-trailing type rear suspension the spacers under the centre bearing is used to create the slight angle between the gearbox and front shaft uni joint. A sagging transmission mount would be enough to negate the difference in angle.

Thanks, Im sure I have it all the correct way, and added the spacers. in the correct order......dont happen to have a digaram/spacer layout configuration handy?
all bushes just got done....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No I don't unfortunately. This is just stuff I discovered along the way.

Driveline vibrations is something that has plagued Holden Commodores, 2nd gen models which I also experienced on our old VS. I think the only item I never replaced was the centre C.V. and they certainly do wear out as I discovered when I had another drive shaft apart and we washed out the C.V (to re-grease it) and you could see the wear inside the ball races.

I'm fairly sure Holden altered the drive shaft phasing of the uni joints over various models as well as changing the rear upper trailing arm bushes to try and eliminate drive line vibrations.

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
Well just dropped the shaft off to Gibbs and yes, CV is shagged, uni's both shagged, phasing isnt correct (its meant to be 60deg LAG?) and the spacers were never installed in the correct position on the centre bearing bracket.

should have it back in a few days all set. But manged to source a OEM centre bearing

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Woohoo, you hit the trifecta!