Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

one piston not firing, not the injector, possibly burnt valve or head gasket?

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Well I decided to just let the mechanics mess with it. I'll be dropping it in there tomorrow and they will take the head off and see whats wrong with it. Also replacing a cracked radiator, it slowly leaks and is very annoying. Whilst they have the motor ripped apart is there anything I should ask them to do, like clean the air intake etc (like the thing that has "3800" written on top of it). Anything that might increase performance or anything? I dont plan to have the motor apart again any time soon so I figure if I want anything done to it it may as well be now...

thanks for the help guys

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
NP just remember to have a backup plan if it's the piston and not just the head, rebuilding the entire thing will cost 2k easy probably more, and rebuilding one head is a waste, both may was all be cleaned up having new oil seals and a valve job, the manifold can have it's acid bath then, usually full of black crud, I guess you can see where that goes, one bit after the other costing a fortune.

If it has to come out, much simpler to drop back in a complete engine, most mechanics charge ya at $60 - $75 / hour an engine change over should be done in less than a day, and that's the cheap option, costing ya around $500 + the other engine, saw one complete for $400 on ebay yesterday with warranty.

Rebuild the other V6 at your leasure, if they can't change over an engine in 5 hours having it running well before 1pm they need sacking. Higginbottom engine rebuilders used to demand 3 complete engine change overs per day per person, allbeit red motors and that's just ripping one out and dropping one back in immediately with things like your alternators and electrics etc put on, another workshop pulled em apart.

If its a spring it's fixed in half an hour, if the valve is burnt away the valve seat will need replacing and no basic mechanic has that kind of gear at hand, all are sent out to engine rebuilders, new valve, valve grind / seat, oil seals, surface ground, etc etc.

Last edited:

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Hmm, I hope its nothing like that. Even if I picked up a second hand motor theres not guarantee its in perfect working order, unless I get a reco motor in which case it would cost me a lot more..

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Hey guys, well, I get my car back this afternoon!

Turns out it was nothing like a burnt valve or head gasket at all, in fact it was only the fuel pressure regulator, the last piston wasnt actually getting any fuel, hence wasnt firing. Im happy because it hardly costed anything :D Got the radiator replaced while I was at it, it had a crack in it.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
good to hear it's all worked out ok !

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Hmmm, "yeh he did a compression test and thats what he told me" I wouldn't be going back to that bloke in a hurry, probably did a magic hypothetical compression test, or used a calibrated finger ? LOL

Interesting how low compression turns out to be low fuel, this compression test I hope you don't get charged for it, sounds like he's guestimates the faults.

Not many mechanics let ya watch, and rarely allow help, workshops have no insurance for the customers that help, especially under the hoist.
I generally go on extended smoko if ya wanna watch, but others charge at;
$60 / hour
$80 / hour if you watch
$100 / hour if you help

At least ya have a car that goes.

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
This bloke is honest IMO. The compression was low because carbon had built up on the valve I think, now that the piston is firing its slowly cleaning off the carbon sorta thing, and the pressure is slowly rising. Its still not 100% but its getting there.