Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions - Engine Covers

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
The covers look good so far.
Although they're not smooth after the spray.
Don't know if I should go to the extent of sanding back a little again and put another layer on to finish it off or get it smooth, or leave it as is.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
get some 2 or 3000 grit paper. Then give it a hit with another coat and a clear coat.

If you want a weird effect. Just use 2000 grit and clear it. Will look like blue brushed alloy (to a point)

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Can you get clear that will be okay for engine temp stuff?
Might have to put things on hold till tomorrow or something perhaps when I can be bothered doing more :p
Will have to go pick up some clear and some 2-3k grit.

Wouldn't sanding it back, then spraying it again, and then spraying with clear still give a slightly rough surface finish?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
It wont be rough perse, but it will have really fine scratches in it. IF you do it like that, make sure you only sand in one direction. Otherwise it will look like ****.

Just get some automotive paint. If the clear won't peel off the bonnet the engine covers will be fine. :)

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
id leave the lettering and logo the same colour if it was me. but if you did want to do them a different colour, lay down all the blue coats you want to do, then spray the logo and lettering the colour that you want (ill say white for explination purpose). after the white has dried go and wet sand the white paint off from where the blue is ment to be. this should leave you with a nice neat white lettering and blue covers. when you are happy with the results apply a few coats of clear. once cleared you can wet sand them again if you wish to obtain a perfectly flat finish but they will need to be machine polished to remove the sanding marks

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Toey, applying the white, and then wet sanding it back, wouldn't cause any sort of issues with the paints mixing etc and leaving a **** colour would it?
Sounds like an alright way to do it, much better than painting with a model paint brush, which'll take forever to do and probably never look 100%.

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
i agree with soop white will look much better

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Well yesterday morning, this is where I was up to

3aac8009.jpg

Have since taped off the blue and sprayed the underneath and done a quick couple of coats on the top black before it started raining this morning.
Will have to do a top coat with all 3 pieces together as there is a minor difference in the paint so I will have to blend the blues pieces.
Will probably try spraying the white into the letters and sanding it back to bring up the blue on the surface.
Unsure what I'm doing with the holden logo yet.
I'm possibly thinking white background and leaving the top bit black, similar to how the white will come up on the blue.
I think it'll look stupid (ie. **** job) if I try and physically paint the raised part of the holden logo white.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Will 1200 grit be ok to get a nice finish on the paint ?? tried to find 2-3k grit at repco and bunnings with no deal.