Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions of NSW filtering law?

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SIDI
Have a read of this and let me know what you think.

Motorcycle lane filtering to be legalised in NSW to reduce traffic congestion, says Roads Minister Duncan Gay - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Here's the content of the link:

Motorcycle lane filtering to be legalised in NSW to reduce traffic congestion, says Roads Minister Duncan Gay

New South Wales motorcyclists will be the first in the country to be legally allowed to lane filter, driving between cars caught in traffic on multi-lane roads.

The practice, also known as lane splitting, is common elsewhere in the world but Australian riders can currently be penalised by police.

NSW Transport Minister Duncan Gay says the shift is part of a package of changes to ease road congestion and improve motorcycle safety.

"We held a successful trial in Sydney CBD last year of motorcyclists being exempt from existing lane filtering laws in an attempt to ease road congestion and measure potential safety issues for other road users," he said.

"As a result of the trial we will introduce a new law that will permit fully licensed motorcyclists to legally filter past stationary vehicles at intersections when it is safe to do so.

"Riders will be able to filter at a speed limit of 30 kilometres per hour. It is important to note the new law will not apply to school zones during hours of operation where there might be an increase in pedestrian activity."

Motorcyclists will still be banned from filtering around trucks and buses, from travelling left of cars in the kerbside lane and from travelling in breakdown lanes.

A new offence will be created for riders who lane filter at speeds over 30kph.

"Filtering at high speeds is dangerous and will increase the crash risk for motorcycle riders and other roads users, particularly cyclists and pedestrians," Mr Gay said.

"The new rule changes will give us the opportunity to communicate with riders so they better understand the risks involved with lane filtering and educate them on safe filtering practice."

Christopher Burns from the Motorcycle Council of NSW says riders are doing motorists a favour by lane filtering because it reduces traffic congestion.

"Duncan Gay... should be applauded for this commonsense move," he said.

"The benefits of lane filtering have been internationally recognised as a solution to traffic congestion in built-up areas."

Motorcyclists argue lane filtering is also safer for riders because it reduces the chances of them being rear-ended.

For the record, lane filtering (stationary traffic)and lane splitting 9moving traffic) are two completely different things...the article above gets that difference confused.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Who doesn't do it that rides bikes anyway? I know I used to when I rode bikes many years ago. Damn good idea as long as it's done safely.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I think it's a great idea provided there is sufficient driver education. I'd rather see bikes at the front of the pack, if they're out in front they are less likely to be wiped out by a car who isn't paying attention.

captain_slow

Reaction score
Hopefully other states will follow suit, but I doubt Campbell 'Stalin' Newman will, given his very obvious distaste for motorcyclists in general. Having said that having been pulled over by a bike copper for filtering, genius me didn't realise he was leaving an accident not arriving at it, was told in no uncertain terms I was being stopped for being an 'arsehole' for 'inconveniencing' other motorists by 'jumping the queue'. I rattled off the bit of legislation pertaining to moving through stationary traffic and he agreed that there wasn't actually an offence for filtering, it was a discretionary thing that overlapped the rulings about failing to stay within a lane on a multi-lane road and given that I had a; stayed in the lane, and b; indicated, that didn't apply. In reality I was lucky. The sad part is that we are one of a very few countries where bikes to the front (for lack of a better term) isn't both accepted and commonplace

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Good to see, as we've been doing it forever.
They should allow Motorcycle riders to use bus lanes too.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Very good idea to keep traffic moving. Smart premier in a smart state.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
So now already ignorant motorists have to keep an eye out in case a motorcyle is going in between them. Can't see it working too well to be honest.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
So now already ignorant motorists have to keep an eye out in case a motorcyle is going in between them. Can't see it working too well to be honest.

not much will change really, bar it being legal. the people that used to do it, will still do it(hopefully at legal speeds, etc), the people that didnt feel comfortable doing it probably still wont. being that its at a maximum speed of 30k, cars will either be at a standstill or moving slowly for the most part, if they manage to hit a motorcycle at those speeds, they should probably go back and learn to drive.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
They should allow Motorcycle riders to use bus lanes too.

They do here. Makes a world of difference although there have been some nasty stacks due to bikes fanging down bus lanes when traffic is stopped and the lanes of traffic let an oncoming, right turner through.

I could count the amount of motorcyclists who don't lane split round here on one hand. Can't speak for NSW but nothing would change here if it were legal, except that it would be legal.

That said, we have great roads for it, wide lanes and decent asphalt, it's never been an issue.