Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions of VE

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I moved up from a VS to a VE. The VE handling and steering is heaps better than a VS and even the stock alloytech has heaps of power, shame the VE is way too heavy and visibility is an embarrassment to the Engineering department at holden, not to mention the shallow boot space. Just depends what you want in the car. A nice safe drive with good handling - VE, or a practical user friendly car with enough visibility to see the car thats about to T bone you at the roundabout or the neighbours dog before you nail it, and bigger boot space for camping trips ... go for an earlier model.
Whatever you do take a VE for a good test drive before you buy one.

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
haha the pillars are insane on the utes, i nearly gotta stick my head out the window just to see if anything is there

At the start I was also sticking my head out but over time you get used to it. Getting the car on an angle before you commit to a turn helps. Shifting your head isn't a major erk for me. Try driving an M113 APC... :O three little 5hitty windows!

Back on topic - Generally I would think twice about buying another VE. Overall the time I've had ownership of my car, I feel ripped off. The build quality is good in some areas but it fails when it comes to interior build quality and some mechanical aspects to the car (gearbox for instance). Even the on the outside, some of the plastics/metal doesn't line up and I've noticed that the pinch point on my door doesn't perfectly match in line with the pinch point on the rear side of the ute when I look in my side mirror. The engine is great (V8), has excellent power and torque once you rip off all the factory crap off it like the CAI silencer for example. A few aftermarket parts and a tune and you'll really get it singing. Beyond that (I can't say the same for the sedan or wagon) I reckon I'll wait a couple of years before buying another street ute again. Ford's offering tends to have the same issues as well. There are so many parts outsourced for these vehicles, 'Made in Australia' cannot be taken seriously anymore. If there wasn't so many small problems which lead to a disappointing exeperiance then I'd say get a VE all the way. Don't listen to what Motor or Wheels say about it, they only drive a couple hundred kilometres, fang it around a racetrack for a bit and have a cup of coffee at some outback pub when they do their road trip which is not a concise indication of what the car is really like.

It's when you own one and drive it for months, that's when you notice all the small cracks. That's with nearly every car.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
All Commodores are varying degrees of ****. They seem worse when you're driving BMW, Mercedes and Porsche all day. I certainly won't ever buy another one.

i'm guessing they would love you over at the BMW forum..... don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

I have a 2010 ve ss I am loving it but it has a crappy sound system and the the auto transmission A6 gearbox seems to have the famous 2-3 flare/harsh shift (Holden did not release a official fix yet) .

mine does that, but not when i run it in sports shift mode.... works perfectly

i'm on my second VE.... and when the next model comes out, i am considering trading the SS in on one :beer chug:

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
id buy another when vf is out

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
All Commodores are varying degrees of ****. They seem worse when you're driving BMW, Mercedes and Porsche all day. I certainly won't ever buy another one.

You show arrogance and small mindness with a comment like this. I too own/ have owned and driven many high end european cars (but dont feel so inadequate about myself to brag about it) and they certainly are better in most cases. However your imaturity really shows when you dont take into consideration the difference in purchase price. For the cost of them, Commodores represent fantastic value for money and are a great bang for your bucks proposition.

The majority of members on this forum dont care for your elitest attitide. I for one doubt your claim to be driving these cars all day unless you are the wash-boy" at a prestige dealership.

V8Silverfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SS A4
You show arrogance and small mindness with a comment like this. I too own/ have owned and driven many high end european cars (but dont feel so inadequate about myself to brag about it) and they certainly are better in most cases. However your imaturity really shows when you dont take into consideration the difference in purchase price. For the cost of them, Commodores represent fantastic value for money and are a great bang for your bucks proposition.

The majority of members on this forum dont care for your elitest attitide. I for one doubt your claim to be driving these cars all day unless you are the wash-boy" at a prestige dealership.

+1 ... nicely said.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car

LOL!!! I have owned 3 VEs, Calais, Clubsport R8 and Calais V and I tend to agree with bravotwozero... They represent value for money which is why most people buy them. Doesn't mean they aren't **** when compared with European offerings.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
and my rodeo is **** when compaired to a paris dakar ute.
there cannot be a comparison between a 150K euro box and a 50K aussie its is just stupid to even try

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
and my rodeo is **** when compaired to a paris dakar ute.
there cannot be a comparison between a 150K euro box and a 50K aussie its is just stupid to even try

Oh I don't know... A rodeo going 80 will easily overtake a Paris-Dakar ute going 50.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Meh - most of the euro offerings are grossly overpriced when you consider what you actually get for that money. Is a M5 3x better than a GTS??? (They cost 3 x as much).

Reaper