Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Optimum speed ?

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
hi all

it's kinda a silly thing to ask, but is there is a "optimum" speed that when you you drive at it, will give you maximum Kms ?

for example : if you drive too fast, you will get short distance, if you drive too slow, you will save gas but your gonna take forever to get to wherever you're going

if you wanna go in between, how fast should you drive ? ( I guess it's a math thing thats why I suck at it )

.....I also think it has something to do with the Diff, size of wheels, transmission...etc

and sorry for giving you a headache :bomb:

thedeadwalk

thedeadwalk
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S2
for example : if you drive too fast, you will get short distance, if you drive too slow, you will save gas but your gonna take forever to get to wherever you're going

you'll burn less fuel driveing at 110km than you would driveing at 60km the best way to save fuel man is don't let you revs climb higher than 3000rpm :axe:

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
110km is the sweet spot for mine as well, really good econ at that pace.

Cheers.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Around 80 km/h for most cars as evidenced in the recent economy tests thru central oz. Most cars did the trip at 80.

Reaper

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
So long as overdrive is engaged - 90 km/ph is probably the most economical but a pain in the butt for traffic following behind - if the posted speed limit is say 100 - 110 km/ph

thedeadwalk

thedeadwalk
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S2
112km/h is where myn feels nice/easy and don't use to much feul

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I averaged 11l going 150km an hour the other day lol, it was fairly cool and not much wind, plus it was 3am in the morning so no cars. But yeh i would reckon the sweet spot is 110km/h

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
dont listen to trip computers.... use common sense.

a car travelling at 110 km/h is going to have a crapload of wind resistence over a car travelling at 80km/h. this benefit gradually decreases as you drop in speed to roughly 50km/h... where driving 'too slow' doesnt give you much drop in wind resistence. if you can maintain a steady 80km/h speed in the same fashion as a highway (unlikely, because 80km limit roads have traffic lights and tighter corners), you'll find that it is definitely the most economical speed you can travel at.

in real life though, driving 80km/h on a 110 limit hwy would cause more dramas than its worth.

onca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
Wind resistance is proportional to speed squared.... so increase your speed from say 100 to 110kph will result in 20% rise in wind resistance. I think the sweet spot will be anywhere between 80 and 120, the higher as cars gets more streamlined, but lower as cars gets heavier.

And as Repear says the AS for measuring fuel consumption has the vehicle sitting at 80kph on a perfect flat (which is how a Landcruiser can get 11 l/100km.... yeah right).

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Drive at 110, keep an eye on instant fuel reading, drop 10k's. Repeat until you find you are looking at consistantly lower numbers. Write down the speed you are travelling, report here as scientific fact