Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Orange sludge found

inf3kted

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
hey, while i was doing some maintenance i found that i have this orange/brown sludge on my stick and the radiator cap is quite clean also

worth mentioning that i haven't ran into any over heating issues since i found this.

When i first pulled the stick out it came out like this

1Ltg9

Quite oily when i washed it off

1Ltgp

krylothe

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
hey, while i was doing some maintenance i found that i have this orange/brown sludge on my stick and the radiator cap is quite clean also

worth mentioning that i haven't ran into any over heating issues since i found this.

When i first pulled the stick out it came out like this

1Ltg9

Quite oily when i washed it off

1Ltgp
If I were u mate check your engine oil and transmission oil (assuming you have a auto) for discoloration or milky look to it, cause that shouldn't be happening!! If tranny oil is milky the coolant line in the radiator is cracked and u need a new radiator (and flush the tranny) If the engine it could possibly be a blown head gasket.

inf3kted

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
I'll check these when i wake up. I've never flushed/replace a radiator or replaced a gasket is it easy to do?

krylothe

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
I'll check these when i wake up. I've never flushed/replace a radiator or replaced a gasket is it easy to do?
Doing a flush is easy, and i have removed the radiator from my ve before and that was simple enough. But iv not replaced a head gasket before so not sure how difficult that might be.

inf3kted

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
I check my trans and oil they were both fine (trans was clear and pinkish while oil was how oil is meant to look)

krylothe

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
I check my trans and oil they were both fine (trans was clear and pinkish while oil was how oil is meant to look)
Idk maybe needs a radiator flush, without being able to have a look all I can do is speculate and guess. Mate if ur not sure have a mechanic check it over.

ms_enj

Geek girls are sexy...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega 60th Anniversary
Drain, thoroughly flush, and refill your cooling system immediately.

That orange sludge is what forms when the red GM Dexcool coolant starts breaking down chemically from apparently being mixed with standard green coolant, age, or being exposed to air in the cooling system too long.

At the moment, it looks like the particulate matter in your cooling tank is still suspended in liquid and should flush out, but if you leave it, this is the likely result:

e3jG9l.jpg

I didn't have any sludging issues with my VE, but when I had to replace a leaky heater hose a while back, I drained, flushed, and refilled my car with the Nulon red coolant instead of Dexcool, and have not had any issues at all.

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
I'll be doing this on my SSV soon too, Looks like it's still the original coolant in there (2006). Only a year over due! God damn dealership.