Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OTR CAI/Mafless Tune & Insurance

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A MAFless tune is against the law, as it affects your emissions.

It's not so much about whether they will pay a claim because of the modifications, more so that the modifications are actually covered, and in the event of it needing repairing, the car will be repaired back to the way you had it. Otherwise, it will be taken back to stock because the insurance company isn't going to pay out for a more expensive aftermarket part if it isn't listed and you aren't paying the extra premium to cover it.

As said, the insurance company doesn't really care if something is illegal or not, only that they are covered when having to fork out for a replacement. If you don't list it on the policy and aren't paying extra, you won't get it replaced if it is damaged.

Only if the crash is investigated and you are found at fault and charged will the insurance company not pay out. If it's not your fault, or you weren't breaking a law when an event happened, then you should be covered.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
How do you find Shannons?

Excellent.I've been with them for 2 years. Any mods I get done I contact them, they list it and send me out an updated policy.
Simple as that.

tanner892

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV M6
A MAFless tune is against the law, as it affects your emissions.

It's not so much about whether they will pay a claim because of the modifications, more so that the modifications are actually covered, and in the event of it needing repairing, the car will be repaired back to the way you had it. Otherwise, it will be taken back to stock because the insurance company isn't going to pay out for a more expensive aftermarket part if it isn't listed and you aren't paying the extra premium to cover it.

As said, the insurance company doesn't really care if something is illegal or not, only that they are covered when having to fork out for a replacement. If you don't list it on the policy and aren't paying extra, you won't get it replaced if it is damaged.

Only if the crash is investigated and you are found at fault and charged will the insurance company not pay out. If it's not your fault, or you weren't breaking a law when an event happened, then you should be covered.

Its gonna do absolutely **** all to your emissions, certainly not gonna be worse, seriously what are you gonna do, go ;

"Hey NRMA i got a mafless tune" theyll be like "what the f*** is a mafless tune?"

vp5lute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp5lt
i'm about to take my car to the epa nsw i spoke to the head guy who will be doing my test he didn't care i had a mafless tune as long as it passed he couldn't care less hes words not mine

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
Didnt the 2002-2003 GTS come out without a MAF ???
I think it was the CB4 engine...not 100% sure though....

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Its gonna do absolutely **** all to your emissions, certainly not gonna be worse, seriously what are you gonna do, go ;

"Hey NRMA i got a mafless tune" theyll be like "what the f*** is a mafless tune?"

MAFless is tuned to WOT, of course it makes a difference to emissions. Removing the MAF, which is an integral part of a vehicles emissions control, is illegal. Unless of course, the car came without one as in the case of the CB4.

Why do you think it is illegal to remove a heat riser pipe on an early engine? (The silver flexible hose that goes from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner, in case you didn't know)

tanner892

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV M6
MAFless is tuned to WOT, of course it makes a difference to emissions. Removing the MAF, which is an integral part of a vehicles emissions control, is illegal. Unless of course, the car came without one as in the case of the CB4.

Why do you think it is illegal to remove a heat riser pipe on an early engine? (The silver flexible hose that goes from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner, in case you didn't know)

Blocking heat risers isnt anything like a mafless tune, you are blatantly increasing emissions by doing that, with regards to a tune all your really doing is leaning out the AFR. So how can your
emissions be worse . ?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'm not saying it is bad or good, I'm saying it is illegal.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
i'm about to take my car to the epa nsw i spoke to the head guy who will be doing my test he didn't care i had a mafless tune as long as it passed he couldn't care less hes words not mine

why? what is this story.