Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OTR help - worth upgrading? LS1

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Hi

Another otr thread.... Ive tried to use the search button but cant find much for my particular situation, so hoping someone with more knowledge could help me out.

I recently picked up a vy ss thats has a growler installed, along with extractors, high flow cats, 2/12inch exhuast and has been tuned.

Ive found a cheap second hand vcm otr on gumtree (with maf). My question is will i see any gains ditching the growler for the otr and will i get away without re tuning the car as I would retain the maf? Im not looking at going mafless at the moment due to the costs involved in a re tune.

If im not going to see much difference i dont think i will bother.

Any help would be great. Thanks

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Without a retune, I doubt the 2 maf intakes would have any real difference. You are better off saving the money for a future OTR and MAFless tune.

Exactly the sort of info I was after. Thanks Husky

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I done exact same thing in a ve SSV Repalced the off to the side growler with a vcm otr. Kept the OEM maf and haven't retuned. Originally was no real difference but after 30-40km of road driving it definetly felt a little stronger all through the rev range and a tiny but more nice intake roar.

When I get my car back I'm going to insulate the top of the radiator as it must heat soak in traffic quite a bit. It should keep the intake temp sensor in the happy zone for longer.

I may eventually get a tune as I'm running on the walkinshaw tune and it would have to be conservative due to emissions and the tail pipes are really black so it's probably running fairly rich costing power and using more fuel than it needs too. Reason I haven't tuned it is I may install a cam shortly so I don't want to tune it twice.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
The OTR will make a difference maybe not on a dyno, but def on the open road