Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Over filled transmission

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Its got be beat why auto boxes don't have a drain plug

Most new cars don't even have a fill tube for the auto!

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I don't see the need for a drain plug as you need to take off the pan and change the filter if you want to put new fluid in anyway.

But it could be good for those who over fill their trannies all the time.

Plus it would save you filling your eye sockets with trans fluid when you have a sneezing fit just as you take out the last bolt holding the pan on . believe me it's no fun .

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Or get the "wave" of, usually hot, fluid washing over the edge of the pan as you try to smoothly lower it to tip it into whatever it is being emptied into.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
there are actually pictures somewhere on these forums of a modded trans pan I remember seeing a while back, with some basic instructions to adda drain plug yourself, even if you still have to take it all appart to do the filter, it being empty would rock, you could then use a standard sized drain pan as well.

snappy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Statesman V6
don't quote me on this but I have been told by a mate that when the electronicly controlled trannys came out, Holden tried to flog a story to the customers that these magical new designed transmissions are infact maintenance free. I suppose therefore come 150,000km's the tranny is cactus and theres $3200 for a new unit installed at the dealer. Again don't quote me on that, someone just told me but it is a scheme I could see Holden trying out at some time.

snappy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Statesman V6
don't quote me on this but I have been told by a mate that when the electronicly controlled trannys came out, Holden tried to flog a story to the customers that these magical new designed transmissions are infact maintenance free. I suppose therefore come 150,000km's the tranny is cactus and theres $3200 for a new unit installed at the dealer. Again don't quote me on that, someone just told me but it is a scheme I could see Holden trying out at some time.

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
Yes holden did,i think it was from either VS or maybe even VT where they said the oil doesnt need to be changed due to the different setup in the transmission.But i could be wrong about the model though.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
Ford says the same thing for the BA's...what a load of B.S, mine was black at 100,000km...was glad i didnt leave it any longer...like all fluids it needs to be changed everynow and then...at least my old VS had a dipstick to checjk the fluid, i now have to get under the car and unplug the inspecition bolt to see how it is...