Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

over heating effects on engine

slowr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vtII Clubsport M6
Check you don't have air in the lines..
Get a presure tester or get a mech to test it for you if you don't have access to one get nrma to do it...
it doesn't cost much to pull out the water pump either (from mem 140 from supercheap?? if it's leaking of course!!) I replace the themostat and cap every 40k....if you always do little things like a hose every 10 k they will always be new as well.....
yes halfway is correct....
if there isn't anything in it you'll know about it pretty soon....
check your oil lvl as well
it should sit at halfway without moving!
If it gets hot put the heater on this will have fluid run through the heater core (which is a little radiator behind the dash) and have a fan run over it wich will help cool it...
If it isn't going over 3/4 it sounds like a thermo.
Get yourself a book mate costs ya 40 bucks!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.2ltr car
OK
diagnosing cooling system problems.

I guess if the temp fluctuates like that u gotta ask why. there could be a number of causes, but the 3 that come to mind is \
1/ There is not enough coolant in the system (check coolant and bleed for airlocks, leaks etc)
2/ The clutch fan is not kicking in. check and replace the viscous fan coupling
3/ There is a problem with the water pump. The impeller can often wear and not operate very well, or say the fanbelt driving it is slipping a tad.
4/ Radiator blockage. Flush cooling system and fill with appropriate coolant (replace radiator core if needed) mabee its just some foreign material lodged in the ratidator.
4a/ Erratic temps can also be related to the thermostat sticking or too hot/cold. I would recommend the 180degF heat range.
5/ Mechanical/tune related. Running too much advance or not enough fuel flow (diagnose A/F ratio and timing)
6/ Crap spec oil/ low oil level, sometimes using **** quality oil can load up the cooling system, esp if the oil level is very low

hehe i said 3, i ment 6and a bit. ANyway coolant problems can normally be a combination of things.