Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overdriven S14 Supercharger CRS Kit Experience

P

PoweruP

Dual Air Pod Setup

Hmm bit strange that the car would stall from the pod and too much heat, have u checked the coil packs and or leads. The only thing i would notice in peak traffic the temp needle would creep up to half way until the thermo fan comes on or start moving, and the car would feel sluggish until it started suckin some cooler air, i never really noticed it idling ruff. The only times my car ever idled like a bitch was when i had electrical probs 1st time crank angle sensor, 2nd time split lead and 3rd time was a coil pack.
Heres the dual pods i made, it was surprisingly very easy.
Il try find a pick with it on my car but for now here ya go.

Attachments

• 0425_184302X.jpg
    0425_184302X.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 0425_184504X.jpg
    0425_184504X.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 0425_184615X.jpg
    0425_184615X.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 233

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
lol, the random car parts pile. i have one of them at home too..

The car never actually stalled, it just felt like it was going to so i never gave it the oportunity.

i added the pod back onto the car tuesday night and went for a drive, really couldnt notice any difference at all, basically the way i had it setup before with the air box and filter element was great. altho i do have some ideas for futher fabrication and incasing the pod in a air box of some description.

P

PoweruP

He yeah my random car parts pile extends down the garage. Sounds like your airbox setup was pretty good, the air rushing in the cool air pipe must have been keeping it close to atmospheric at the filter rather than vacume. I have been wanting to make that pod canister for sometime seen it in a euro car mag once and seemed pretty cool. They had chrome custom canisters that break apart in the middle and where designed for the k&n pod to sit in it perfectly.

As for other developments..... I got engine issues bad. Was doing a bit of racing and it was feeling a little diff erent, was fine for about an hour then slammed it into 1st heard this sharp rap at full acc removed the foot then it stalled.......
It still runs but missfires almost constantly, and idles like a bitch. Seems as thou its lost a cylinder? Thought it was coil packs again as its happ befor pretty similar so changed all but no diff, have checked leads and tested the spark off each sparkplug which 2 seem kinda intermittant but was doing it in strong day light so maybe wrong, which leads me to think its electrical. but i still cant find the prob. The car sound like a WRX when driving??? poss due to losing a cylinder???. Has definatly lost power but not soo much, but missfires BADDD when accelarating. Checked fuel filter and relays, so iam starting to think maybe broken valve/spring, cracked cylinder, broken piston? but havent noticed any loss of collant, exchaust isnt blowing any smoke and oil pressure is fine.
Need to check the cylinder compression, but have no gauge so will have to do it manually (pull out all spark plugs and use 1 to test each individual cylinder and see how the engine cranks over hoping there will be resistance on each cylinder).
This is sorta not surprising as the car cops daily abuse and track abuse for the past few years, but still hoping its jus electrical!
Anyways thats my car woes for the moment, will letcha know how i go.

:?

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
thats a bugger mate, hopefully its just a dead coil pack.

but with the pod canister, im pretty sure the XR6 turbo has a pod casing, maybee get that from ford and "convert" it ;)

P

PoweruP

Ha, things you miss eh. Miss fires where caused by 2 cracked sparkplugs (relief). Guess they got a bit hot?
Cars back to runnin smooth. :) :) :)

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
thats a lucky find ;), time to buy some better quality plugs?

1uzVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GXP Maloo A6 317kw
i would be putting some sort off cooling on your car
intercooler would be best but messy with plumbing
water/methanol injection would be good also
i hear that before these blowers it works really well as you are spinning it to its maximum all the time remember they were made for a 2 lt not a 3.8
this will lower your intake temps which means more dense air which = more power
your inlet temps would be getting well over 100deg
8psi at 50deg is a lot more air than 8psi at 100deg

and melted plugs might be telling you it been pinging your engine wont last to long if you dont do something to get the air temps down

have a search around with google and you should beable to find a few DIY water injection setups

the New street machine has an article in it on a yellow terra setup
if your a member of autospeed there is also a few good articles on there

P

PoweruP

Yeah ur right bout the inlet temps they'd have to be pretty high, but its deffinatly not pinging. The spark plugs cracked not melted so like vinny said better quality plugs would be a good idea. It wasn actually me who found it, i ended up taking it to The Brock Shop and they checked everything for me and found the 2 sparkies. I am also getting it chipped and tuned realtime by them as well and have eliminated the flat spots that would occur when jus crusing not flooring it. They are checking and going over the whole engine setup for me, and have fixed quite a few small issues. Will be interested to see if theres a power diff or if it will jus be smoother. Also had a dead o2 sensor??? so the left and right banks where running different not that it seemed to change anything. They also hated the resistor that was used on the air sens and have retuned so its not needed. But other than that the engine/compression and timing is in good order. GO THE ECOTEC!!!!! its still kickin ass.

P

PoweruP

Ok got the car back, drives much nicer. The resistor that was used in the air sens was making the comp think the engine is at 2deg all time and was running way rich a lot of the time, making the car get flat spots when jus crusing normally unless you progressivly floor it. Miss fires are totally gone when accelerating but...... at idle the engine isn too happy seems as thou its still running on 5 cylinders but as soon as it gets over 800rpm its fine no prob at all??? i couldn leave my car at the shop any longer for now and they couldnt figure out what it is in the 2 days they had it. They did manage to tune it quite well using their own memcal the air fuel ratios are much better but gets a bit lean over 5000rpm and produces even more mid range power with a slight 14hp gain overall. But best of all no more flat spots when lightly accelerating. I ve got myself hooked up with the supercharged ecotec injectors and got em for $50 each. So now jus trying to sorce the fuel pump from that engine as well. They both are much better, and will be a lot healthier for my engine. But this idle thing is giving me tha shits.....

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
thats great, good to know your back on the road with a better running car. the intercooling idea is definitely an intersting one, give it a try when you have the spare cash ;). but the idle problem is a bitch, maybee when you get that SC fuel pump it should help out, but then it probably would make no difference to the idle.