Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating and coolant "boiling like a kettle" in my reservoir

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Put the old one back on and see what happens. You either have the wrong cap or so put it on wrong.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Believe it or not i changed the radiator cap about a month ago, might aswell do that again too? I have a feeling my thermostat is contributing the most, as my top radiator hose gets alot hotter than my lower one. Coolant is brand new, ever since it's been leaking out i've just topped up with water (I was always in town when it happened) but when i take the cap off it's still bright green so there's plenty of fluid in there. The bubbling did only start when i changed the radiator cap actually.. Within 1-2 days, could have never thought it could be a problem?

What radiator cap are you using? I had trouble getting the Trident brand radiator caps to seal properly on my VS, I than went back to the CPC brand radiator caps which work much better.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
^ agree, some cap manufacture has gone a bit south the last few years.

You want the cap to be tight when it is closed to function correctly.

Limpy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
What radiator cap are you using? I had trouble getting the Trident brand radiator caps to seal properly on my VS, I than went back to the CPC brand radiator caps which work much better.

I actually bought a Trident one, which as you can read. Aren't very good at all haha But i bought a Holden Genuine one so hopefully when that gets here my main problem will be fixed.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
change thermsotate........CHANGE IT!! lol cheap, smple most likly your probelem as i had same problem and it was the thermostate

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
also, when you do your thermostat you will need to change the seal around it, make sure that you get one when getting your thermostat or else you could end up needing a shop without a car... also as an idea try just removing the thermostat and driving around to see if that fixes anything... still sounds like a thermo fan issue to me as the stop start is all that gets it hot...
id try getting the car hot and looking to see if the fans are on... if they dont start then your issue is electrical.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Any luck with the repairs?

Also, running without a thermostat is highly not recommended. It also violates the EPA requirements regarding tampering with emission control components. Removing the thermostat invariably results in the engine running too cool. This can cause vaporized moisture in the crankcase to condense and result in developing corrosive acids and sludge in the crankcase. Also, low engine running temperatures will increase hydrocarbon emissions. Don't think about REMOVING it. Test the thermostat as I stated above, if it passes specification put it back it, if not buy a new one with a thermostat gasket too. And if you damaged the old gasket beyond repair, tap out a new one with gasket paper, or just seal the two surfaces with Permatex Blue or Loctite Blue Maxx.

Last edited:

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
i was talking about running it once without the thermostat to test not as a permanent idea to solve the problem, i doubt that a one off test would do enough damage to be considered serious. also i cant see how it is emission control... but then again I'm only saying what i would do, not necessarily the be all and end all solution :)