Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

overheating tranny?

mirlin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina II
I drove from melb to syd a couple o days ago with a car trailer weighing about 500kg in a fairly loaded vx berlina v6. About 4 hours into the trip my car wont kick into forth nd just keeps reving at 2.5-3 thou. While it is reving at these high rpm the car has no power and is struggling to keep speed. how can i fixx this and how is it going to perform one i place a car on the trailer for the trip home?

plod75

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx acclaim seres2 sedan
I drove from melb to syd a couple o days ago with a car trailer weighing about 500kg in a fairly loaded vx berlina v6. About 4 hours into the trip my car wont kick into forth nd just keeps reving at 2.5-3 thou. While it is reving at these high rpm the car has no power and is struggling to keep speed. how can i fixx this and how is it going to perform one i place a car on the trailer for the trip home?

Dude you should never ever tow in fourth gear or any overdrive gear, the overdrive/4th gear was designed for the car only lightly loaded travelling. Its keep to put petrol in ya car then it is for a new trans

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
the car should not labour in 4th gear. It is to protect the trans unless you are going on a level road or downward gradient but up on hills it should at lower gear. Try driving it without the trailer and see if its still kicks into 4th. If not there is a problem.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
damn, got to it too late...
Yeah, like everyone has said so far.... 4th is not designed for any load!
Even up steaper hills you will find the car would normally kick outta 4th into 3rd...

Hope its all good in the end!

mirlin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina II
I have done alot of towing in my commo before and also with heavier loads, i understand what you guys are saying but the thing is it wasnt just up inclines, it was on the flat and minor decents i needed to keep the engine reving at 3g just to keep it at speed (110) on the hume. this was only after about three hours of continuos driving that it started happening.
Any way i bought back the loaded trailer yesterday and unusually it performed really well until about 5 hours into the drive whan it happened again. but i'm home now everything checks out still drives fine without the trailer.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Ok, my VN did something similar but without towin or nuffin...
It would shift from 4th to 3rd loose power, shift up... shift down...
On a flat going a constant speed...

Ended the up transmission comp or whatever had an error...

I had my mechanic do sumfin or other and fix it, though he had to borrow some diagnostics tool from holden...