Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Owning a V8 if you're under 25??

thfchayden

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 UTE
My mate got a pass for a V8.. all he said was it's the only car in the family and he needs to get to work. Pretty surprising how easily they passed him, didn't even check on anything..

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
a bit late but anyway.
wait til you are done with your P's then look at the v8 option then. (or just before you are off the p's look at having it)
that way you can
a) save up money for an awesome v8
b) have some experience in a car before going ballistic with your choices.

plenty of places will insure you under 25.
some will price it so far out that it isn't worth it
others are semi reasonable
but most of the time its going to be expensive
but its the game you play if you want a v8.

and yes, it is definitely worth it having a v8 even if it costs a little bit extra

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
Owning a v8??

Ok so i was just looking up the law of owning a v8 if you are under 25 and yes i have posted before about this same topic so sorry for doing it a again but on the my license website for SA it says this. On 1 March 2014, the definition of high powered vehicles changed for vehicles manufactured from 1 January 2010 onwards. This allows all types of vehicles, regardless of the number of cylinders, fuel type, being turbo or super charged, to be driven by provisional licence holders, on the condition that the vehicle power to weight ratio is not greater than 130 kilowatts per tonne in tare mass, and no modification is made to alter engine performance. Now does this mean i can get a new vf v8 or does that not fall into an accepted power to weight ratio bracket. Sorry again for re posting but im a little confused and cant seem to work it out.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
put in a call to the licensing mob.
they should be the most informed people to give you the answer

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Why not look at the exempted//banned vehicle lists for your state from your motor registry website

Edit
In SA, its hard to find out
But VF V8 is above 130kw per tonne

Last edited:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Use this website

Get the kg of car and known engine output and enter it

For a basic VF series 1 SS, its 158kw per tonne or so

http://www.autosnout.com/Calculate/calculate-bhp-per-ton.php

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
Ok so i found out you only have to be on your full license to own a V8 i thought even if you where on your full license you still had to be 25 to own a V8 but i was just reading it wrong. its says on the My License website You must not drive a high-powered vehicle while you are under the age of 25 until you get your full driver's licence (unless you have an exemption certificate). Ok so that means you only have to be over 25 to own a V8 when you are on your P2. that makes more sense now thought it was weird not being aloud to own a V8 even when you are on your full license. Looks like i now what ill be doing when i get my full license then ill be straight on the car hunt for a V8.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Sv6 ute
oh **** ahah was just looking back at the post and saw that you already said that you only had to be on your full license woops sorry didn't even notice it.