Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oztrack cam

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Any idea what sort of clearance is required?
Ie: could I check mine and decide to machine a couple more thousandths of the head?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Thanks for the info learn something new every day, that's probably why the guy that's going to do my heads wants to know what specs my cam is etc

Yep. The builder would combine how much the heads are shaved, the cam lift, and other factors to get a rough idea if it will even work, and to get an idea of what he can do.

xxaussiepridexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy sv8
Yeah that's what I figured. Brenna u would need to know spec of your cam to match the clearance so u don't shave too much off but don't take my word for it as I don't have a lot of knowledge with these ls engines

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Piston to valve clearance.. No idea how its checked.. Keen to know also.

Put some plaster on top of piston, bolt head down and slowly rotate engine, if valve hits piston and stops the engine turning then no harm done if done carefully. Otherwise pull heads off and look at the valve imprint on plaster and see how thick it is to the piston.

Thats one way of checking but you didn't say what implies if the valve actually imprints on the clay, then heads have to come back off and then the fun really begins, in car fly cut takes time, especially on eight cylinders.
There are also 2 more ways to check, one comes to mind as the valve drop method but this is for experience guys that know what there doing.
Mainly having the exhaust valve at its highest point and literally dropping it on the piston and measuring the drop - very rare that the intake valve will be close to the piston.
The other requires dial gauges and what not but then that's going to be an engine builders dream

Thanks for the info learn something new every day, that's probably why the guy that's going to do my heads wants to know what specs my cam is etc

I still wouldn't trust it, unless its checked, if you haven't got the knowledge get someone to professionally do this

Any idea what sort of clearance is required?
Ie: could I check mine and decide to machine a couple more thousandths of the head?

in an L98/L77 there's always more CC's that can be had as your heads aren't overly high in compression from factory, but as always it comes down to PTV

Yeah that's what I figured. Brenno u would need to know spec of your cam to match the clearance so u don't shave too much off but don't take my word for it as I don't have a lot of knowledge with these ls engines

Correct as he could be forced to fly cut if there's too much taken off

xxaussiepridexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy sv8
Yeah that's why I'm getting a professional to do the heads better be safe then sorry

adam26101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VY II SS WAGS!~
may be outdated this reply butt.... gt cam does not need head work and fly to accomdate. only the gtx does, (ls1). the however GTcam require double spring. witch they put in if you buy there cam package witch is quite cheap tbh.. im getting the GTcam and duspeed otr in a week for under 4 grand