Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plate exhaust mods

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Yeah mate. Assuming I pass my P's test next thursday, I'll be there for the NSW C4C. Will be my first cruise and will be awesome!! With the exhaust, I'm also kinda worried about insurance. If the car is involved in a crash, whether it's my fault or not, the insurance guys might have a problem with it.

I don't know. I might focus on getting some other things done first.

MUT4NT

RatRod Gem Wagon?
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH international// Gemini Wagon
4 pages on this exhaust thing and all you keep saying is insurance insurance insurance just get it if you want....but why bother to do anything to a v6 i have and i regret it...

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
If the car is involved in a crash, whether it's my fault or not, the insurance guys might have a problem with it.
Unless they can prove that the exhaust caused the crash you will be fine. If you have an accident and the exhaust needs replacing they will only pay out enough to get a stock system, if at all.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
Stupid idea. 25 hours for your P's? good luck even mastering how to fully control a car by that time, especially manual, granted some people drive on farms or off road and have more experience but thats the minority. I believe firmly in a harsh and strict Learner's system, teach them how to drive properly in many different circumstances. Too many times have I heard how people have got their licenses and they are the crappest drivers ever etc, and crash etc...

It's like giving a kid a machine gun and shoving him into the Iraq war with 25 hours training. All he knows is how to pull the trigger, if the gun jams, he won't know what to do.

Driving is not a right, it's a privilage and when it's people's lives at stake, a harsher learner's system is more fitting rather than having a crap learner's system and legislating the crap out of P plate laws.

yeah about that.... that system ended about 5 years ago, i got my L's on my sixteenth and had to do 50 hours to get my p's, when i got my p's there was huge pannic because it was goign up to 100 hours.

Last i heard Rahn-bo was tryna up it to 150, AND make p platers unable to drive at night, even got headsup that he's tryna ban p platers driving anything above a 4cylander.

If he does that there will be huge backlash, the laws are just getting stupid.

I asked an MP who comes to my work frequently how they would plan to impliment these laws and was told similar things the school i did my drivers awareness course told me.

They love to make up laws that sound good to win votes, and then sneak them through fast, making big media coverage of a few and just sweep the rest under the carpet.

Same deal with the anti biker laws, one of my customers who's in criminal law thinks if the new biker laws are upheld it will tripple her business atleast because its been left open for police to exploit, some of the laws being implimented make it easier to arrest members of gangs, so they could for instance call a group of football supporters a gang.

It's come up a lot in conversation at work with my customers i keep asking their opinion on teh anti-hoon laws as they are being called here and anyone over 30 seems to be loving it.. i ask them what they think the laws are they are tryna pass, and most people reply oh they'l get the hoons off the road, i ask how. they go on about how awesome it will be to see them have their cars siezed, and proceed to blame p platers.

I ask them... what happens if its not their car... usually get a blank look, i point out how we've already had issues with police exploiting current laws, I myself have had several of my customers come up and help stop a police officer harrasing me when i had my 240.

The laws they want to bring in here are worse then the nsw ones from what i've heard, from the MP under it not being able to let p platers have anything above a 4cyl, i asked whats the lenience plan, how will i be exempt from it, i get told, you wont be u will just be sent a piece of paper as soon as the law changes asking you to pay for recieving the note, then you will have to take the car off the road or sell it, no exceptions.

Last time i checked most 6 cylander cars are safer then 4's.... i can tell you right now my VR is a lot safer then my l4 volvo i had... so im hoping these laws do not pass.

Also before everyone gets on it, we got proof a lot of these mp's and such talk a lot of crap, the 2 crashes that happened here that provoked the huge media coverage of 'p platers are responsible for all the statistics' and off rahn-bo tryna buy votes from old people who just like hearing the word antihoon and will vote on anything with that on it without looking into it.

With the ute crash that happened, within 6 hours of it we had the chief medico from adel hospital go on tv demanding p plate passenger restrictions, and that it would have prevented the crash. The ute was a 2 seater.... 6 people involved in it... 2 in the cabin, 4 in the tray.... last time i checked riding in the tray was illegal in the first place...

The second one they kept going on about, they kept claiming it was a p plater... and how the laws needed to pass.... BOTH of the cars racing were full licensed. They need to stop vote grabbing and policing better, that smash happened on south rd at 3am... there are tons of police up here doing rbt's and defect searches excessively here, i havnt seen that many down on south road which is a major road.... ttp isnt..

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Unless they can prove that the exhaust caused the crash you will be fine. If you have an accident and the exhaust needs replacing they will only pay out enough to get a stock system, if at all.

My issue was that the insurance companies might say that I was driving a restricted vehicle on a restricted licence.

The biggest problem of all and why I'm puting it off so much, even when I get the car, it'll still be under my parents name and therefore they think that they have the biggest say on that modifications occur.

I'll sort it out in a month or two or just leave it stock.

nathan549

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt II s pack
cops do pick on p platers if ur driving like a fool or not. my brother ages ago had a car accident wen he was on his red ps, asian guy went through a red light and compeltley totalled my bros car. when the cop arrived on scene he laughed and said "p plater". didnt even ****ing question that it wasnt his fault, luckly we had a witness that stopped so we got it all sorted lol.

but yes who gives a crap, put an exhuast on don't floor the **** out of it where cops usually hang round and youl be fine.

goodluck man :thumbsup:

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
part of the reason why im a bit worried atm, if SA brings in similar laws to other states i dont know what im gonna do with my car, it has several mods the previous owner did to it.

Apparantly a catback exhaust is illegal for p's in everystate except SA and ive apparantly got one. dont even know what it does that makes it so coveted by the cops.

STRIKE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo SV6
If they brought the rules in in SA existing P-platers wouldn't have to all buy new cars. As is the current case in Victoria with the remaining P-platers still around when the old rules were in only have to abide by power to weight ratio.

Plus its only if you drive/act like a tosser that a cop would have a crack at you anyway. I have a full exhaust with extractors highflow cats and a twin cat back and no policemen has ever questioned it. plus anyone who thinks a catback is a performance modifaction is kidding themselves.