Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P-PLate Illegal Cars & Insurance

black_84vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK SL (M4)
okay. here am i being bored brainless with how slow and gay my 84 vk is. and now i have the financial backing to afford a $20,000 loan from a bank to get a car thats worth driving and spending money on.\
but. when i think about it more. if i was to buy a modern n/a six. id turf it the moment i get off my p's wanting either a turbo. or an 8. so. the whole point to this thread being-

does anyone actually know anything about the issues ill have with driving a standard looking xr6 turbo or an ss of some sort.
is there any point to insurance at all, as i would have a car that im not allowed to drive.
will i still have TAC cover if i crash it?
things like that.

i know people are doing it. i see it everyday. but do you all just not car or is there a way around in this bs that the nobheads in canberra keep dreaming up for "safer roads"...
cheers

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I can't imagine ANY insurance company would cover you for a car that you can't legally drive. I'd imagine the people who are somehow getting away with it are probably doing it through some loophole such as getting it registered in their parents' name. Seriously I'd just wait...once you get off your P's it'll not only be a lot easier to insure it, but also drive it without being worried about getting done over by the cops.

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
so you wanna drive a v8 on your p's is kinda the subject your on here?
if so police arnt really stuiped, they can tell a v8 or something when they see one and if it has p plate chances are your gonna get pulled over
or if your going to drive one without p plates well police probly wont look twice, but then if the unfortanant happens and you do get pulled over, you will get done for a v8 plus an addional fine and points for no p plates
also you can get away with driving and 8 for so long on your p's, and you might never get caught, but if you crash it while your driving and the police come, one of the first things they look at is the licences of those involved and the cars they were driving, and you might be held more liable, hope that sums up what you wanted to here, and if your on your p's and your on a bit of a budget, why not just buy a nice vs or something and do it up, then once you have your full licence get a better car then.

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
If you had the money without a loan, sure..... If you crash then its your fault your insurance wont cover you. However then you wont be in debt paying for a car you dont have.

If you had the money i would say buy the car, drive your vk until you get off your p's and do up the other one while you cant drive it.

black_84vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK SL (M4)
cheers both for the input.
and luke. yeh. pretty much is the point. but come on. lets face it. none of us have stock as a rock, plaplate legal cars. weve all got something done to them that pushes the "no performance enhancing mods" line. what im saying is the althogh you might not have much done on the out side. you may have a nutcase motor in it which is visibly the same to an insurance bloke.
aaaand having an xr6 turbo. badges are easily pulled of, and you could have a go at the engine bay hiding everything that says turbo on it and putting a bigger heatsheild over the turbo itself. leaving it an "n/a" xr6 to any pissed off copper standing in the rain trying to defect my car...

Notorious_Matt

Wicked Motorsports
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SS Ute
Plenty of loop holes in the P plater laws......some of my friends that work for holden, ford and toyota have turbo/8 cylinder exemptions because it's a requirement of thier job to test drive customers vechiles which in turns might be one of the types mentioned previously. I have a 8 cylinder exemption because most of the work vechiles are v6's and v8's. I tried to get turbo exemption but we don't have any petrol turbo vechiles only the diesel turbo vechiles.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
regarding the "hide turbo badges. etc" idea, police can easily check your rego and see if the car is a turbo via that route. It'd be very pointless.

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
well then yeah if you think you can cover it up go for it, i have contemplated driving 8's on my p's but always end up with the same conclusion, its not worth it
yeah and what static said, if the insurence wont cover you in a crash your screwed

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
so you wanna drive a v8 on your p's is kinda the subject your on here?
if so police arnt really stuiped, they can tell a v8 or something when they see one and if it has p plate chances are your gonna get pulled over
or if your going to drive one without p plates well police probly wont look twice, but then if the unfortanant happens and you do get pulled over, you will get done for a v8 plus an addional fine and points for no p plates
also you can get away with driving and 8 for so long on your p's, and you might never get caught, but if you crash it while your driving and the police come, one of the first things they look at is the licences of those involved and the cars they were driving, and you might be held more liable, hope that sums up what you wanted to here, and if your on your p's and your on a bit of a budget, why not just buy a nice vs or something and do it up, then once you have your full licence get a better car then.

This being said, they're not supposed to insure you for illegal modifications, I'm a P plater and i have registered i have Pacemaker extractors, exhaust etc.

but as for the turbo and V8, good luck with insurance, and IF you do find someone, i'd be $3500 + a year.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
this bs that the nobheads in canberra keep dreaming up for "safer roads"...
Off topic, but nothing to do with Canberra mate. State Govt's. Here in Canberra P platers can drive any car, to the posted speed limit, with any amount of passengers at any time. As well as having the option to get rid of your p plates and gain 4 points after 6 months.
Enjoy.. :beer chug: