Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

p plater driving a 5ltre vs

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
here in SA we're about to get massively screwed by our 'mike rann me too' p plate laws. they voted them in calling them anti hoon laws, with no description. they voted them in saying there will be performance restrictions for p plates without disclosing how it will owkr. last time i checked you had to prove why i a law was needed to enact it. instead of just having something voted in and then writing your own description to it.

i already cop enough crap from the cops over my VR v6... well before these new laws come in in july... i could go get a turbo or a v8 and get exempted. because it means i cant have a nice car for another 23 years. but... my next cars gonna be a VT calais. a really nice car... its not gonna need an exemption and i cant see myself being picked on much in it. because i want to be able to make it to my full license instead of being targeted like i get atm.

Im still getting my SS or GTR. but until then im getting my Calais, surviving on my license and getting my hot ride when i can afford her and wont get targeted by sapol.. well ill still have p plates up so i will still get targeted, but its not gonna be like atm where they see me crusing around with a sports exhaust and custom wipers / sports kit and think hey another notch for my belt.

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
Custom wipers???

R1DG3Y

Raising Hell Since 87
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Nissan Navara D22
gotta love WA :p P plates for 2 years and you can drive whatever you want hahaha

not that i care been off my p's for 3 years

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Personally I don't care what P platers drive and think the P plate restrictions are pointless and discriminatory. If one is an adult and classed as such they should be treated as such. Anyway, there are restrictions but I see P platers driving around Lismore in Subarus and Skylines going pshhh and Commodore 5.7 litres and obviously not their parents cars. Good on 'em as long as they drive properly. I know if I was on P plates I'd do all in my power to drive the car I wanted to. And no.. My son doesn't get to drive my SS I bought him a Honda civic but if he puts his cash away and buys his own SS, more power to him.. Pun intended;)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Not in Victoria you can't. So he's either gained an exemption or flouting the law.

No-one has mentioned he probably is on the OLD licensing system. All these restrictions only apply to NEW p platers after the law has been introduced.....

Thus legal to drive what he likes ;)

And on the comment of 'just stick out the 4 years', i dont see the why they should have to. I got to drive a V8 when i first got my license, and havn't crashed, so why shouldn't other be given that opportunity aswell :)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi

FORGIVEME

no substitute for cui
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 S3 VS STATESMAN
i think the p plater laws are bullshit but i live in wa so it doesnt matter and reguardless if any older ppl want to agree or not p platers are targeted by cops no matter wat they drive the one thing that still shits me is y do u have to display p plates on your car i dont get it wtf does it matter if anyone else know if your a p plater or not the only ppl that need to know are u and the cops and if u get pulled over and they check your lisence they will know but i got my lisence in vic like 4 years aago before i moved here and me and my mates all had v8s and we r all fine older ppl can be revheads to but like evryone over the age of 25-30 says all these young c*nts causing crashes i see more ppl over the age of 30 speed past me on the highway everyday than young p platers so yeah thats my 5 cents

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
If he is a red p plater he cannot drive a v8 unless its for work (during working hours) or for towing. The only "special" cars P platers can drive would be stock supercharged 'family cars' which still need an exemption but are granted based on the conditions the car is by their definition a family car and meets power to weight requirements.

So i would say this red p plater is flaunting the law.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
i think the p plater laws are bullshit but i live in wa so it doesnt matter and reguardless if any older ppl want to agree or not p platers are targeted by cops no matter wat they drive the one thing that still shits me is y do u have to display p plates on your car i dont get it wtf does it matter if anyone else know if your a p plater or not the only ppl that need to know are u and the cops and if u get pulled over and they check your lisence they will know but i got my lisence in vic like 4 years aago before i moved here and me and my mates all had v8s and we r all fine older ppl can be revheads to but like evryone over the age of 25-30 says all these young c*nts causing crashes i see more ppl over the age of 30 speed past me on the highway everyday than young p platers so yeah thats my 5 cents

Don't over generalise young fella.. You're doing what you accuse older people of doing. Not all older people are like that. I don't think like you're saying we think and I'm 50 and know other older people that think like I do. Don't alienate us, we're on your side;) Even when I was on P plates in the '70s police used to pick on us, defect our cars etc. P plates stand for PickOnMe or PullMeOver or some such. Things have really gone overboard in the last 10 years to the point of paranoia with young drivers.