Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P-platers taken down a peg

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
but why learn in something that is completely different to a more powerful car....if you learn in say a lancer....the only thing your actually learning is how to turn,stop,signal, look,give way and so forth.......i know i was a bit scared for the first 4 months or so when i started to drive my car.....its a v8....its liek any other car......treat it with respect and learn how to drive it ......most people do learn or already know how to drive their cars because they ahve had practise on blocks or private property from round here and alot of other places........
this is going to be a never ending battle between p platers and fully licensed drivers... but the fact is that the government only see the bad points of powerful cars,not the good ones of learning in one

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
boona15 said:
but why learn in something that is completely different to a more powerful car....if you learn in say a lancer....the only thing your actually learning is how to turn,stop,signal, look,give way and so forth.......i know i was a bit scared for the first 4 months or so when i started to drive my car.....its a v8....its liek any other car......treat it with respect and learn how to drive it ......most people do learn or already know how to drive their cars because they ahve had practise on blocks or private property from round here and alot of other places........
this is going to be a never ending battle between p platers and fully licensed drivers... but the fact is that the government only see the bad points of powerful cars,not the good ones of learning in one

Yeah I dare say alot of country folks are very competent drivers from driving the old mans car out in the paddock...but city kids dont get that experience...

I actually prefered riding a motorcycle when I was a teenager cause the feeling was just the same as riding a pushbike... I felt more confident with that rather than a car...

My friends however, had their cars and they had their share of accidents from being hoons... and most of them were Ford fanatics I might add.

Most kids that first get behind the wheel have some hoon instinct inside... Now if they are limited to a car that can't even do 16 sec quarters... they're not going to feel like hooning that much are they ? Hence the incentive to hoon is gone and the road toll reduces...

And so after they've graduated to a full licence and they've decided to by a fast car to hoon in...then they have all those years of driving experience to help keep them out of trouble...ie. winter driving, old ladys pulling out without looking...etc etc.

I cringe at the thought of a person who've just passed their P's driving a 13 sec street car.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
16 second car......my mate wrote off his cordia doin handbrakies because it didnt go fast enuf......going in a straight line is alot safer than snaking sideways down a road

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
boona15 said:
16 second car......my mate wrote off his cordia doin handbrakies because it didnt go fast enuf......going in a straight line is alot safer than snaking sideways down a road

But he's alive ???

not mashed into another car cause he lost control at 200 km/hr

point proven...???

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I think all cars over certain power to weights should be banned for all drivers until they pass a course designed to push High performance vehicles to a limit, get member sof the racing community involved, this way 60 year old mid life crisis grandpa cand rive a 297 kw R8 the same as a(mommys rich boy) 21 year old can and there is no discrimination.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
sixshooter said:
But he's alive ???

not mashed into another car cause he lost control at 200 km/hr

point proven...???
A few years ago, a mate of mine lost his brother. He was 15, and front seat passenger of a Magna, and yes, the old school 4 cyl ones. the driver was also 15, and obviously unlicensed. Need i mention the driver was Asian....also the car had no brakes, which is why it slammed into the tree doing over 100.
This was also on a back road, about 3 streets from where i live, so don't give me that **** about V8s being soo bad.

Personally, i know my brakes will stop my car before most cars on the road. so i know i'm coming home in 1 piece! most V8s come with Disc brakes all round, a hell of alot safer than a 202 with drum brakes one would think.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
STEALTHY (purplemonkeydishwasher) said:
A few years ago, a mate of mine lost his brother. He was 15, and front seat passenger of a Magna, and yes, the old school 4 cyl ones. the driver was also 15, and obviously unlicensed. Need i mention the driver was Asian....also the car had no brakes, which is why it slammed into the tree doing over 100.
This was also on a back road, about 3 streets from where i live, so don't give me that **** about V8s being soo bad.

Personally, i know my brakes will stop my car before most cars on the road. so i know i'm coming home in 1 piece! most V8s come with Disc brakes all round, a hell of alot safer than a 202 with drum brakes one would think.

Well thats a bit irrelavant...this thread is about performance cars and inexperienced L & P plate drivers...not unlicenced drivers of unroadworthy cars...

Kids do alot of stupid **** at that age....

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
sixshooter said:
Well thats a bit irrelavant...this thread is about performance cars and inexperienced L & P plate drivers...not unlicenced drivers of unroadworthly cars...

Kids do alot of stupid **** at that age....
my point exactly, even inexperienced, if that car was a V8, with decent brakes, it wouldn't have killed the dude.

Adults do stupid things too. Some things worse than others

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
minux said:
I think all cars over certain power to weights should be banned for all drivers until they pass a course designed to push High performance vehicles to a limit, get member sof the racing community involved, this way 60 year old mid life crisis grandpa cand rive a 297 kw R8 the same as a(mommys rich boy) 21 year old can and there is no discrimination.

You've hit the nail right on the head there minux.... I couldn't agree more.

Also these idiots that want to drive 4 wheel drives in suburban areas because it makes them feel safer that they can mow down anything in their path should be made to undertake some special driver education aswell.