Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pac swi-ps

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Hey people. posted this in the car audio section but got no response. just got my SWI-PS unit from america except that i am having some trouble with hooking it up. the units user manual says i only need one wire but the car plug has 4??? which one do i use? can anyone link me to a thread that has the steering wheel control wiring diagram for a vy exec 2002??? and do you know what wire on the unit itself i use? cheers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Sorry I can't help you with the SWI unit. But if you end up giving up on it, Aerpro have a harness that gives steering wheel control and its direct plug and play with thier adaptor harnesses.

I got my JVC unit wired up in 5 minutes with no work, just harnesses.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I have not done this on a VY. I did get a pac unit working in my previous VX.

The pac is a unit designed for multiple applications, depending on the vehicle it will have different wiring instructions.
There is a single wire which comes from the steering wheel controls to the pac - it will need to connect to one of the 4 wires. So 3 of the wires will remain unconnected. The correct wire is the pot of gold you need to find.

To determine which wire you need to use you could trial and error - try each wire in turn and proceed with programming the controls per the pac instructions.

You could also check the vehicle specific installation instructions for the pac unit and see which colour wire is suggested for chevrolet vehicles around our year/vintage - it may not be the correct one, but it's a good place to start...

From memory, the brown wire on the VX wiring harness came from the steering wheel control, and I connected that to the white wire on the pac unit. I also seem to recall one of the other wires needed to be earthed?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
YOU ARE A FKN LEGEND. i searched but couldnt find anything. thanks alot

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
No probs mate.

tothezenith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS 5.7L M6
Late but for others info... the steering wheel controls run off one wire with each button having a certain resistor on it. resistance x = vol+, resistance y = vol-, etc.
So set your multimeter on ohms and with it hooked up to earth and the wire you want to test just press a button on the wheel; cycle through the wire pack till you find the wire that has its resistance change when you press a button, and bingo, you should see a different resistance value for each button pressed and that's your wire :)

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
My problem was that i didnt know to earth the black/yellow trace wire. As soon as i did this and hooked the white wire from the pac swi to the brown wire on the car. Then it was just a case of following the correct sequence. I believe it was vol up, vol down, mute, next up, next down and finally mode.