Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pacemaker Try-Ys?

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
470rwkw Twin Turbo VE SS-V
Hey,

Just looking at completing the rest of my exhaust (currently have a X-Force 3" catback) on my VE SSV and have found Pacemaker extractors but even though they're Tri-Ys, they seem to be quite long. I've always seen the Pacemaker Tri-Ys to be quite short and bolt up to the stock cat but this one looks to be almsot the same length as their 4-1s.

Anybody know anything about these type of "long" Tri-Y extractors?

Cheers.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
VE-VF

This page should explain all.

Pacemaker make a short Tri-Y #PH5377 Note: These Headers fit up to the Cats in Original Factory Position

Pacemaker make a long Tri-Y #PH5387 Note: These headers are designed to fit with Pacemaker Euro III High Flow Stainless Steel Cat Converters - Part # CAT5381-02L and CAT5381-02R

My opinion is that an exhaust is not 'complete' until it has extractors, high flow cats, and the cat back. Just commit and buy some big chunky 1 7/8th 4-1's and high flow cats :D

I eagerly await the Tri-Y / 4-1 debate.

Turtle2388

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Look I'm gonna go out there and say that I'd go 4-1 over tri y any day of the week. Pirate has a differing view which is also a valid argument, but for over all performance, sound and look you can't go past pacemaker or hurricane 4-1 headers. Sound the best too. But if you have an xforce exhaust then I don't think it will bolt up to pacemaker or hurricane 4-1 without modification. The only 4-1 that will fit are HM Perry and xforce.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
The PH5387 appears to have been crafted to deliver the best result overall with a cam, but is considerably more expensive than the shorties and may lead to cats scraping. Whereas PH5377 are remarkably similar to the venerable product of GMH's best performance research effort - HSV shorties - so they look stock over the pits with legal cat in same location. Comparing PH5377 or HSV shorties to straight tubes has been covered.
It is clear that the Long Tube (LT) PH5387 is crafted to incorporate elements of exhaust theory specifically without the space constraint of the shorties or running primaries as straight long tubes into the merge collector. Whether any is better for you depends on your wallet, mods and your driving expectation.

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply PIR4TE. I'm not considering the shorty PH5377 as like you mentioned, they're very similar to the HSV units but with the extra price tag. better going HSV if I was to buy a shorty setup.

I'm very keen on the long tube PH5387 tri-y extractors but can't seem to find much info or results from using them.

The car is a street car and main emphasis is on 0-100km/h results.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Search Pfadt Race Engineering which has released similar headers for our engine to wide acclaim in 2013, big take-up by the C06 market particularly, and Doug Thorley (DT), who has been attributed with the invention of 4-2-1, both have remarkably similar design elements to the PH5387.
There are plenty of results by independent trade magazines both dyno and driving in the US.
These 1 3/4 torque monsters are similar to the Pacemakers, and level peg top end performance of 1 7/8 LT Kooks up to the point where only CNC / ported heads show some limit.
Even this is of course top end max power, the LT 4-2-1 still worth considering for broad spread, likely better suited to your driving need.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Is there any reason per say that you actually don't want some much more attractive and manly 4 into 1's?

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've been offered some LT Tri-Ys fairly cheap and was considering them, especially since the car is a street/road car.

Cheapest 4-1s I can get are X-Force 1 3/4" mild steel for $650, whereas the LT Tri-Ys are half that.