Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Advice - clear after acrylic

travb81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Awesome advice guys.
I saw my paint supplier today, and he confirmed what has been said here.
Final coat of paint should be a light one, and clear should be applied without touching up the paint - this is so the metallic particles are not disturbed and set in place by the clear.

I put 4 coats of clear over the paint, let it dry and moved it out into the sun - not too happy with the finish, looks patchy. Hard to tell if its the clear which is patchy, or the paint underneath. Its when you look at the roof side on, or the bonnet - its like a texture thing... hard to describe, but i think its the clear. Hopefully another 6 coats of clear, sanding + cutting will make it look sweet...

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Black Vz R8 HSV Clubsport 297kw Gen IV M6
hey i jst started spraying my boot finally, and yer got half way then the compresser started being gay, but anyway what sort of clear do peopel recomend for when im done, and how much does it cost round abouts?

travb81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Ive used a acrylic clear lacquer, cost $50 for i think 4L.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you're using acrylic paint then you have to use acrylic clear. Acvrylic is temperamental with what it can take.

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
i dno what sorta of paint im using, its 1L tin from Autobahn its the origanl factory colour green

badger__rox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VnExecutive
you do realise that paint will not be the exact same colour straight off the mechine n will be a tadd off colour.. even on brand new ve's we get in at work the painters still spend aprox 30 mins or more matching the colour..
and also when painting a full car if you paint one side n the the next side the next day you can get uneven colours just buy having the paint sitting in the tin..

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
i kno it wont be a fill perfext proffessional job, but its alot better then leaving ur car primerd for the rest of ya life lol

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
[VP2NV];561778 said:
i dno what sorta of paint im using, its 1L tin from Autobahn its the origanl factory colour green

its most likely acrylic, we use "duco" or "dulon" brand acrylic paints to mix at my work(autobarn traralgon)

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Paint sitting in the tin shouldnt change its color if you re-stir it properly.

I used to be a painter and I now make paint for a living (Industrial coatings)

Simply put two batches of one color should be the same color within such a slight tolerance level that the human eye cant tell.

We use a computer to color check our batches it can tell if we put an extra 250ml of a tinter color into a 1,200 L batch.

Then again, different brands and types of paint do very different things,the people taking 30 minutes at the car place is probably about right, I Dunno, Ive never painted a car, only dodgy touch ups in my garage :D

travb81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Yeah i wouldnt think it'd change much, but my paint supplier told me to paint the whole car at the same time - i suggested to him that i only wanted to do half, to see what it was like, and then do the other half another week, and he said its not good to do, something to do with matchups and blending...
Maybe its the dynamics of the atmosphere temp, humidity, etc which cause this? I agree, paint in a tin shouldnt change colour overnight!!