Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Engine Cover

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
MY12.5 VE SS-V Z Series Sportswagon
Hey guys & girls, have taken a quick look through the threads and didn't come accross what I was after.

Has anyone a guide to a good "at-home" paint job with a high quality finish of engine covers.

I am interested in painting my VE engine cover and would like to know what I should do before just pulling out a spray can.

Cheers.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
A good result always starts with good prep. Always make sure what you are spraying is CLEAN and free of any dirt or oil. I usually hit them with a coat of primer, let it dry for a few days and then wet sand it. Wash again and then apply another coat of primer. Pretty much repeat the same with the colour until you are happy.

At the moment I am trying to smooth my covers by painting and sanding them until the primer has filled all the ripples in the plastic.

Don't try and paint them in 1 thick coat cos it usually turns out ****. Take your time and provided you use decent primer and prep the surface you shouldn't have any issues.

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
A good result always starts with good prep. Always make sure what you are spraying is CLEAN and free of any dirt or oil. I usually hit them with a coat of primer, let it dry for a few days and then wet sand it. Wash again and then apply another coat of primer. Pretty much repeat the same with the colour until you are happy.

At the moment I am trying to smooth my covers by painting and sanding them until the primer has filled all the ripples in the plastic.

Don't try and paint them in 1 thick coat cos it usually turns out ****. Take your time and provided you use decent primer and prep the surface you shouldn't have any issues.

Thanks for the tips...do you have any images of your project?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Not yet, they are just in primer at this stage. I really need to get off my arse and finish them.

I'll put up a pic of the ones I did on my VZ ute though..
pic029Small.jpg

pic027Small.jpg

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
I sprayed mine in red for my blue car, looks pretty good actually. I did what Troy said and cleaned it, primed it, sanded it then did several coats of engine enamel red ($20 from supercheap auto). I sprayed too many coats to count, about 10 minutes apart and then let it dry for a few days. They look nice and smooth, and really make the engine bay look a LOT better.

It was all done within 1/2 day of painting, then once it dried it looks pretty good if you ask me haha. :spot on:

Attachments

• engine cover..jpg
    engine cover..jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,640

Exceler8r

(Ex-sell-er-rator)
Reaction score
Website
exceler8ed.enjin.com
Members Ride
Yeah good job. I think I will stick with blue to begin with. If it turns out crap, I'll just get a new cover for next to nothin from Holden. (It's all about who ya know)

Dino87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy clubsport
ye id go with the blue something different never seen a blue ve with a blue engine cover and i guess i can say the same with mine purple cluby with a purple engine cover so i think blues the way to go Exceler8r