Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Protection/Interior Protection Packages?

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
Matrix,
Yes, fair enough, I see your point.
My apologies for giving you a bit of a spray, so to speak. I incorrectly assumed you were attacking another member as you were affiliated with an Opticoat competitor product in some way. I was wrong. I should learn not to comment online after a couple of reds...

No worries man... she's all good. I have to admit I often see red when I see companies taking good science and turning it into something sullied and sleezy. Which is what it appears has happened here. Unfortunately it grows... Opticoat themselves simply show a scratch test result - I can't claim to know under what context they might present that test to the resellers. It is the fact that the resellers claim it validates/vindicates/certifies that the product works or is the best that rubs me up the wrong way. The assertion itself may or may not be true, but that three page doc doesnt support it in any way.

But your point on incorrect references to CSIRO validation and certification doesn't in itself mean these products are snake oil.
Agreed. It may be the best... it may not. We simply can't know from the current information.

Oh well. Like anything. Those who like it will buy it (and they should). Those who don't, won't (and they are equally correct).

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
No worries man... she's all good. I have to admit I often see red when I see companies taking good science and turning it into something sullied and sleezy. Which is what it appears has happened here. Unfortunately it grows... Opticoat themselves simply show a scratch test result - I can't claim to know under what context they might present that test to the resellers. It is the fact that the resellers claim it validates/vindicates/certifies that the product works or is the best that rubs me up the wrong way. The assertion itself may or may not be true, but that three page doc doesnt support it in any way.

Agreed. It may be the best... it may not. We simply can't know from the current information.

Oh well. Like anything. Those who like it will buy it (and they should). Those who don't, won't (and they are equally correct).
Ditto, All good!

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
The question of why O-C (or others) don't give hardness comparisons piqued my interest.

I agree that their CSIRO report is used as a marketing tool but I don't have an issue with that. The world is full of marketing.

What is of interest (to me, at least) is the general lack of information re automotive paint hardness out there in wonderland.

I did come across a reference to production automotive clear coat having a hardness between 5H-7H on Pencil Test (O-C, Ceramic Pro, etc claim the hardest result at 9H). I'm not convinced of the real world veracity of lab tests but I guess it's some sort of a guide.

Perhaps someone with more time, or more interest, or better searching skills may find more info but the few automotive paint tech data sheets that I've looked at don't mention hardness at all - just more of the "scratch resistant" type generalisations.

The following may go some way to explaining the lack of specific make/year paint hardness info out there. Basically, whatever standards there may be, appear to be all over the shop...

http://1car-detailing-training.com/pdf/clear-coats-car-detailing-article-by-kevin.pdf
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pdfs/painthardness.pdf
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-charts-graphs/65039-paint-hardness-spreadsheet.html

Finally, a few words from a detailing forum...

"Compiling a chart that lists the consistency of automotive paint can only at best be a rough guide, as this would necessitate listing by; manufacturer, OEM assembly plant, model year, colour, new or aged, paint specification, and etc."

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
The interior equivalent is optiguard. I've had both done to mine. So far so good :)
Anything that keeps that damned titanium colored Alcantara clean hasta be a good thing.
I had thought of covering mine with clear plastic film, it gets filthy quite easily

Ratsack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V sporteagon v8
Hi.
I've had my last 3 vehicles Opti-coated (G6E, G6E and now a Calais V). Calais V was done when new 6 months ago.
Cost $995 which included rims/tyres and windscreen.

A asked the Opti-coat guy about interior protection and he reckons it's a good thing if you've got kids but as my kids are off our hands he reckons not worth it (I think $450)

The only thing I was concerned about was the faux-suede (or whatever it is edit: just read it's called "alcantara") stripe on the seats getting dirty but recently fitted sheepskin seat covers all round.

Just noticed your post and seen that you just fitted seat covers. I was going to do the same thing, until I saw the warning label, on the door pillar, regarding the airbags that come out of the seat. Your car may be different but it might be worth checking.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Hi.

Just noticed your post and seen that you just fitted seat covers. I was going to do the same thing, until I saw the warning label, on the door pillar, regarding the airbags that come out of the seat. Your car may be different but it might be worth checking.

Thanks for following up.

Just make sure that your seat covers are airbag compatible (they're readily available) and you're good to go.

While I think of it, I'd go for good quality (more expensive) seat covers. I've used seat covers for decades and the cheaper ones tend to slide around or bunch up. The better ones stay in place - which is what you need with seat airbags.

Cheers...