Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Protection or Ceramic Coating

AndrewJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Grange
Hey Everyone

I have a 2017 Commodore SS, and I noticed that I had picked up a stone chip on my front bumper. Fortunately, the bumper is being replaced soon as there is already a dent in it, thanks to a rather unfortunate incident with a trolley at Stockland Cammeray.

I was browsing around to see what I could do to prevent another stone chip and I came across various articles on Paint Protection Film and Ceramic Coating.

Has anyone had any experience or dealings with one or both?

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Hey Everyone

I have a 2017 Commodore SS, and I noticed that I had picked up a stone chip on my front bumper. Fortunately, the bumper is being replaced soon as there is already a dent in it, thanks to a rather unfortunate incident with a trolley at Stockland Cammeray.

I was browsing around to see what I could do to prevent another stone chip and I came across various articles on Paint Protection Film and Ceramic Coating.

Has anyone had any experience or dealings with one or both?

Neither will stop a good stone chip. Depending on what sort and who applies it, ceramic is better at reducing swirls, the impact of bird crap and other nasties in the environment. I had Gtechnic crystal serum ultra applied to mine. It has a harness of 10h which is similar to a 10H lead pencil. Pretty tough and only supplied to detailers. But again, a good size stone will chip it, I imagine.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Also just a helpful pointer because you are a new member.......
You can find a hell of a lot of info by using the search function located towards the top right of the page.....It's just under your username when you are logged in.
Type in Paint Protection (or anything else) and hit the search button, any threads relative to the subject you are searching for info on will appear and you can browse them at your own leisure.
You shouldn't have any drama finding info as there are more than a few threads about paint protection & ceramic coating already.
And welcome to the forum :D

Last edited:

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Ceramic coatings won't prevent stone chips. Mine is ceramic coated and I coped a tiny chip right at the front end of the bonnet.

lockwood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MSE
I have film protection across the front on my MSE, no way will it get a chip where the film is applied. It goes right across the front from just in front of the wheel arches and up across the bonnet about 350mm in from the leading edge, not cheap though at $1400.

I've had it applied to a few of my special cars, never had a chip

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Paint protection film is the only one that will protect against Stone Chips. I’ve had a great experience with Andrew from Ozicozi and he’s based at Artarmon so not far away from you. There are a few who do this around Sydney and you can choose whether you want to cover fully or just a car bra only (I went with a full protection; expensive but well worth it as I drive and park now without fear of scratches and chips).

AndrewJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Grange
Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks for all your info
I've booked the car in for Paint Protection at a place called PROvinyl in Artarmon.
I heard about them from a friend who had gotten his Senator wrapped in matte black.
Their website looks pretty legit http://www.provinyl.com.au
Check them out if anybody is interested