Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint protection via a Holden Dealer. NEVER EVER AGAIN

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Failure to the clear coat starts with something that penetrates the clear, most of the time its bat sh$t that was not removed. Again - a coat that is applied in the microns is not going to stop UV unless it is 100% reflective, then you would be driving around in a mirror.

And what protects the paint from stuff like bat droppings?

Feel free to believe what you want, everyone has the right to an opinion. Although I feel we are getting a fair bit off track here..

Last edited:

43lr155

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV redline
Sleepa I would love to have a product that would protect the clear coat on my car but no one can give basic spec on the products they are using, it just like - yeh mate,,, give me your money and come back later to pick your car up. Product / protective coating reputation is built on facts and specific specifications on application, not opinion.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
I agree with you there. I guess the only way to get that info is to go direct to the manufacturer of the products and see if they will give you specific details on them but being a competitive market they probably wouldn't say too much in case it was leaked to a competitor. I do know that some require training to be completed before they will allow the detailer to use their name and products in a professional environment so maybe they talk specifics there too.

I would think that if you got a coating applied from anyone who knows what they are doing and using a decent product, then they should be able to tell you some details about it. Of course there are tons of dodgy ones out there who wouldn't even know how to apply it let alone what it does or how it's made up.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Well for what it's worth, I splashed out and went with (after much research) opticoat pro plus on my car. Unlike the dealership applied crap, it took the professional one whole day to prepare the paint (even though it's brand new) then another half day to apply the product inside and out. From what I understand it's a scientifically (CSIRO) proven product. And from my own observations, it's has made a massive difference to the appearance of the paint and it's hydro-phobic properties. I'm sold..but happy to hear any alternative opinions on it.

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
Well for what it's worth, I splashed out and went with (after much research) opticoat pro plus on my car. Unlike the dealership applied crap, it took the professional one whole day to prepare the paint (even though it's brand new) then another half day to apply the product inside and out. From what I understand it's a scientifically (CSIRO) proven product. And from my own observations, it's has made a massive difference to the appearance of the paint and it's hydro-phobic properties. I'm sold..but happy to hear any alternative opinions on it.

The guy that I'm keen to do the opti-coat on my car says that it'll take a minimum of 2 full days as they need the time to prep, apply and dry. The place is clinically clean with a big prep area, application area (like a spray booth) and a big sealed drying area under lights, so I have a lot of confidence in their ability over a dealership

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
The guy that I'm keen to do the opti-coat on my car says that it'll take a minimum of 2 full days as they need the time to prep, apply and dry. The place is clinically clean with a big prep area, application area (like a spray booth) and a big sealed drying area under lights, so I have a lot of confidence in their ability over a dealership

Yep, two whole days with drying/curing (probably closer to three to achieve full hardness), I was referring to the hands on work when I said a day and a half

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride

It will totally be worth it. And that sounds exactly right for the time needed.

43lr155

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV redline
Results from the CSIRO are interesting. Hard to say that it is scratch resistant with only 1.1mg of force required to penetrate the surface.

Concentrated Hydrochloric acid, Phosphoric acid, and Ethanol were applied to the surface of the coating, covered and allowed to be in contact with the surface for one hour. The surface was then washed with distilled water, allowed to dry and then inspected, No effect to the surface :).

That's a great result with the acid test but I would still wash off the bird and bat droppings as soon as possible as the test was for only one hour.

TML678 how much did it cost and how many coats did they apply?, They are saying that each coat is 2 microns, If I get it done I will ask for an extra coat below the fuel cap for extra protection against spillage and an extra coat on the front bonnet, lights and grills.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Results from the CSIRO are interesting. Hard to say that it is scratch resistant with only 1.1mg of force required to penetrate the surface.

I suggest you read the CSIRO report again. It took 1100g (=1.1 kilograms) of force to penetrate the surface, not 1.1mg.