Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint? Where to buy a couple of Litres of Acylic.. H114

Yande

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
So the weather has warmed up and my mate, qualified (retired) spray painter is ready. I was told to grab the paint and come down. 1 litre should do it. Clear coat has crazed on my 2001 VX Wagon.

I sourced a local supplier (AutoPro) and they quoted me $300 for 2 litres, mixed in house. Managed to get them down to $250, and said I would get back to them. Returned just over 2 weeks later and was informed that in the meantime the company had been taken over (Bursons) and they no longer sell paint. WTF?
There is no where else in town that sells paint. I've asked panel beaters, but most just mix there own, most water based (?) and won't sell.
Anyone got any ideas where I could buy online, or instore Canberra, Wollongong or Sydney region.
Asked why ($300) was so expensive and was told that there were numerous expensive tints involved. Paint Code: H114 - Tungsten.
Any help would be really appreciated.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try Speeds Rare Spares in Canberra, I think they should have paint.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Try Valspar (I think) or Allard in Fyshwick in Canberra.

Just FYI if you didn't know though the paint on the VT is 2 pack not acrylic.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Supercheap mix paint Aus wide. It’s fine - I’ve used heaps of the stuff.
Their silver base is all wrong...so for silver cars I tend to go elsewhere.....

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Their silver base is all wrong...so for silver cars I tend to go elsewhere.....
They probably mixed it wrong in that case. I've never had an issue - and that silver base is actually in most colours. Silver is one of the hardest colours to apply - even qualified spray painters get it wrong. You basically need to paint half the car and fade in through the next panel to get it to look half decent.

Yande

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Thanks for the assistance. Making some calls now. Will let you know how I go.

Also, not knowing much about paint, but if it was a 2 pack, how could the clear coat have sperated as it has on the VX?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
There is still a base colour that is baked on it's own with clear applied over the top. A decent scratch could have started the layers separating or just severe UV damage in general. Gotta remember this paint is approaching 20 now.

Other thing to remember about new on old paint is that the colour code doesn't account for the years colour fade on the existing paint on the car. Might be another reason for off silver, but when my silver VS went in they had to do half of the car for the same reason EYY said.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
I watched them mix it and it was done as per the info wasn't the first time either.... In the end I went to my local panel beater and he just ordered a small batch from his supplier which matched really well...