Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting a bike frame

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
VHT wheel paint is the go. It’s a hard wearing, high gloss enamel. Lays on really well. Check my stato thread for pics of wheels I painted with it. I love the stuff.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I see you mean a motorbike frame.

If its of any assistance, a lot of BMX frames get powdercoated when restored. Ive had one of mine powdercoated along with knowing of a few others that have been and they are still looking minty fresh months later. Bonus was lots of colour potential, which Candy Teal is quite nice.

Just make sure its a hard wearing paint. BMX's that have been painted in a softer finish normally end up looking good to start with, but wear away relatively quickly if used.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I ended up buying a litre of SCA Metal Cover epoxy enamel. I have decided to just feather out any chips with 320 wet and dry and prime up a few areas that need it and blow the paint over the old which I think is mostly acrylic. Probably going to blow some petrol on and melt any cheap aerosol enamel that might have been used over the last 25 years of owning the bike.
Question does anyone know if I can thin the paint with turps, or will I need proper enamel thinners?? I managed to score 4L of general purpose gear for $13 but the proper enamel thinners was around $35 for a can. I think general purpose will melt the lot and create a whole lot of work for me. Trying to avoid sandblasting as it's a horrible messy job and requires full strip down of everything plus the dried sand over here is expensive and I will need 3 bags.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Another question, I am thinking of getting some Hichem enamel hardener. Any reason that I couldn't use this in my SCA paint? I am pretty sure most metal enamels use a similar sort of product I just want to be sure before I order it.

Herryy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Repainting a bicycle frame can be surprisingly simple, although it does take some time due to all the waiting around for paint to dry. The first coat we’ll apply is the primer, and you’ll need two coats for this. Make sure to even out the paint as well as you can for better results. After applying the necessary coats, let the paint dry. The time needed for drying may vary depending on your paint, but leaving it overnight should do the trick.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Repainting a bicycle frame can be surprisingly simple, although it does take some time due to all the waiting around for paint to dry. The first coat we’ll apply is the primer, and you’ll need two coats for this. Make sure to even out the paint as well as you can for better results. After applying the necessary coats, let the paint dry. The time needed for drying may vary depending on your paint, but leaving it overnight should do the trick.

I would think after 4 years, the frame would be painted....Could be wrong though

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah it's well and truly painted and the paint is nice and durable too.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
As your profile shows only 1 post and also shows you joined today, welcome to the JC forum :cool:

Unfortunately you've posted on a rather old thread :rolleyes:

You're not alone in doing such as I think we've all been caught out at one time or another.

It's easy if doing a google search and finding an interesting thead, then joining so one can post some feedback on the subject.
It's what forums are for :cool:

Just a pitty you didn't notice the post date on the last post on this thread. In any case, it made me laugh as i didnt notice the dates until @vc commodore commented :p:p:p

Again, welcome :D

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I just noticed he is from Alaska...So nice to know a VR SS has made the trek across the other side of the world