Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting a clubsport rubber rear bumper-is it the same as painting a plastic bumper

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
hey all,have had a good search but cant seem to find anything on this so any help is appreciated:)
have got a clubsport rear bumper,problem is the rear bumpers are a rubber type bar not plastic.
question is,is the process the same for primer/paint of a rubber type bar as it is for a plastic bar?
do you use the same type of primer & paint used for a plastic bar or is there another type of primer paint you have to use?
may be a dumb question in some ways but i dont want to stuff it up & do it twice

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
a rubber bumper??? is this a joke?

If its genuine it will be plastic, if its aftermarket it will be fiberglass.

Bare plastics need a adhesion promoter or the paint wont stick to it, other than that you can use the same paint on both.

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
a rubber bumper??? is this a joke?

If its genuine it will be plastic, if its aftermarket it will be fiberglass.

yeap,thats the normal story & i completely agree normally but,,no joke on this one i am sorry to say. the vx clubsport bars are evidently made of thermoset polyurethane resin whereas a standard bumper bar is made of thermoplastic polyurethane resin. thermoplastic as the name suggest is a plastic type material. thermoset is still a plastic type material to a degree but is more like rubber than anything else. this is why the vx clubsport bumpers are more flexible as well as a bit more durable & lighter,which is why to me & others i have spoken to its classed as a rubber bumper.
being thermoset they cant be plastic welded as the material degrades rather than melt normally,so therefore it not really a plastic bumper.
if someone wishes to correct me on this as i could always be wrong.

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
The hsv bars usualy come with a white primer on them from the factory. lightly sand the primer with 800 wet and paint as normal. if it is bare rubber ask your local paint shop what plastic primer the recomend

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I am pretty sure they are both plastic still, just a different makeup. Plastic primer should work well as I have used it on very flexible plastic parts and it stuck very well without cracking.

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
I am pretty sure they are both plastic still, just a different makeup. Plastic primer should work well as I have used it on very flexible plastic parts and it stuck very well without cracking.

i did say they are both plastic of sort,its just the hsv bars have a more rubbery composition.so i thought being more flexible you might have to use some special shite thats not the norm.i'll just spray with plastic primer,let it dry & flex it a bit then see if it cracks.

The hsv bars usualy come with a white primer on them from the factory. lightly sand the primer with 800 wet and paint as normal. if it is bare rubber ask your local paint shop what plastic primer the recomend

went to my local paint suppliers & the bloke i spoke to was a bit stupid. so i though i'd ask here to see what comes up.
yes,early hsv bars generally came in white primer,later ones vy onwards that i have seen were black