Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting a ecotech engine cover

Dan366757

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs calais V6 Auto
I know this has probably been asked before but i couldn't find anything, i was chewing over painting the engine cover on my vs just to make it look a bit nicer. What would i need, and what would i have to do. cheers thanks

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
probably a spray can of heat resistant paint , dont spray too close or youll get drips.

Dan366757

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs calais V6 Auto
Far out there are some nice clean looking engines in there cheers for that, yours looks bloody nice mate, would i have to sand it back a little or just start spraying, could i cans or would i need to use a compressor and a gun.

Magifil

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VS Series III Caprice
Its ALL in the preparation, clean the surface really well, use an undercoat/primer and go slow leaving time for drying between coats if the instructions say to. Dont try to get complete colour coverage with one coat. For most of the stuff I did normal paint was fine. my rocker covers are starting to change colours and the spark plug covers look crap so I will use a heat proof clear when I get around to redoing them. On that point use lots coats of clear to protect and enhance your work, I mean 5-8 coats is what I usually do. Oh I use spray cans but I dont claim to know all about it just what I have done and read here on the forums. Cheers Phil

Dan366757

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs calais V6 Auto
Its ALL in the preparation, clean the surface really well, use an undercoat/primer and go slow leaving time for drying between coats if the instructions say to. Dont try to get complete colour coverage with one coat. For most of the stuff I did normal paint was fine. my rocker covers are starting to change colours and the spark plug covers look crap so I will use a heat proof clear when I get around to redoing them. On that point use lots coats of clear to protect and enhance your work, I mean 5-8 coats is what I usually do. Oh I use spray cans but I dont claim to know all about it just what I have done and read here on the forums. Cheers Phil

cool so i wont need heat proof paint but ill need heat proof clear, clean thoroughly first and undercoat, ill keep looking through no dramas thanks heaps mate might take me a little while but ill throw some photos up when i do it. thanks again

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Just wondering if anyone knows the Genuine Colour Code for the Ecotec Engine Cover thats silver?

bardy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
I know this has probably been asked before but i couldn't find anything, i was chewing over painting the engine cover on my vs just to make it look a bit nicer. What would i need, and what would i have to do. cheers thanks
you dont need heat resistant paint!
just get a can of $3 white undercoat
then a can of standard paint in you choice of colour.
do 2 LIGHT coats of undercoat
do 4 or 5 LIGHT coats of colour
dont try to do it in 2 thick coats like i did first time. take your time painting and it will last a longer.
i did mine 6 months ago and it still looks perfect.
i did my fuseboxes too to match. im looking at doing my airbox too in the coming weeks

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
just take the cover off mate , it does nothing anyway just adds weight.

Dan366757

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs calais V6 Auto
you dont need heat resistant paint!
just get a can of $3 white undercoat
then a can of standard paint in you choice of colour.
do 2 LIGHT coats of undercoat
do 4 or 5 LIGHT coats of colour
dont try to do it in 2 thick coats like i did first time. take your time painting and it will last a longer.
i did mine 6 months ago and it still looks perfect.
i did my fuseboxes too to match. im looking at doing my airbox too in the coming weeks

Righto sounds good, thanks for the advice. i was thinking bout doing the lot engine cover, fuse box, air box and CAI when i get a new one cuz the old has a big hole in the top. thanks again