Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

painting around door opennings under bonnet and boot of 88 vn

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Just wondered what isolator/primer surfacer to use to repaint these areas that will be 2k primed and finally top coated in a different colour from original in 2 pak...everything external (bonnet boot roof outside panels)is going back to bare metal but just wondered if you can get away with just a isolator over the original paint in these areas ? Ive read scansealer could be used? Is it normal practise to clearcoat these areas after applying the colour?

Last edited:

flawnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
what colour are you doing it? are you doing this yourself? if so are you removing the doors?

the steps i would take if i were doing this on my own car
  • Remove the doors (need a door pin removal tool) I'd remove them so you can clean and scuff the surface thouroughly
  • clean surface with wax and grease remover until clean
  • give good scuff with red scotch-brite
  • rub out chips/scratches with 400P wet and dry
  • becarful with the rub throughs because if your worried about it reacting, this is where it will do it
  • clean and dry area, then wipe on and off wax&grease remover again (using clean rags)
  • isolator can be used here, avoid heavy coats (this will stop reacting between paint products) [then allow drying time] OR PPG scansealer can also be used, it also acts as a light adhesion promoter [2 meadium wet coats then allow drying time]
  • then use your 2k primer over that, and it shouldn't react

hope i havn't forgot anything and that this is actually helpful

Last edited:

flawnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
and it's only not normal to apply a clearcoat if its a direct gloss colour.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
thanks for the replies and the colour is hothouse green which of course is a metallic...doors will come off and interior will be stripped...drama is the car has been resprayed before I got it with acrylic over the original colour so theres plenty of paint on the car before I start.

flawnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
as long as you dont apply heavy coats of any product that has a substantial amount of thinners in it you should be ok. i wouldn't worry about it having too much material either, it sounds like it'll be ok