Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting Extractors !!!

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
what colour you are gonna paint?? I think you need to put primer on first then paint. But you'll have to bake the paint in. I think not sure.

str8up

Reaction score
Members Ride
5spd VN SS
I sanded mine down heaps good on a couple of my cars, bought the expensive heat proof paint that even had a picture of the extractors on em, gave them heaps of coats, and within 2 minutes of running the engine the paint would burn off. Stuffs me how 2 do it, wouldnt mind finding out though, the high performance coating is heaps expensive.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
mine were powdercoated and the paint hasnt come off and its been there for months

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
okay, you will need to sand / wire brush the pipes, maybe even polish them a little with some solvent, you will need a good heat resistant paint, I make industrial coatings our cheap as chips drum enamel can withstand up to 200 C easily, we also make a heat resistant paint PM me if you are in Melbourne ill put you on to a rep.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
okay, you will need to sand / wire brush the pipes, maybe even polish them a little with some solvent, you will need a good heat resistant paint, I make industrial coatings our cheap as chips drum enamel can withstand up to 200 C easily, we also make a heat resistant paint PM me if you are in Melbourne ill put you on to a rep.

you ever touched extractors? they get way above 200 C

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You need a heat proof paint that can handle 800 deg c plus, no primer as this will burn off thus burning off the top coat. They don't have to be spotlessly clean as anything on there has been subject to the extreme temperatures anyway and won't burn off, unless they haven't been on a car for a while then you need to get rid of loose and flaking material. Follow the directions on the can and all should be good. Pacemaker supply their own paint, if you like blue. Or you can get them ceramic coated for around $300.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
ive got pacemaker blue on my extractors and intercooler piping. click on my signature picture to have a look