Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting for Novices

P

pod

How difficult would it be to get the same colour for spraying my bumper once I have the number off the panel under the bonnet and is attempting a respray of this panel a bad idea considering I haven't done it before? Anyone tried they're hand at this? I reckon I could do it and a bumper is probably the best place to start. Would you use a conventional air spray gun or could you use an airless? I think airless is for acrylic paints. What about preparing the panel. being plastic would you sand it back and primer it?

Any comments appreciated on this.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
yep sand back & use a good plastic primer, thats what I did. Also I used prepsol in between sanding and priming & in between coats. Gets all the dust, grease, & crap off.

I only used spray cans not having access to a spray gun at the time. And I must say came out way better than I had hoped!! All the horror stories I had heard about painting plastic bumpers PPFFTT!!! lol

But I guess time will tell how good the paint job is :D:yeah:

D.

P

pod

paint match

Where did you get the matching paint colour? Could you get these paints, primers and prepsol from somewhere like supercheap auto? Did the colour match ok? Did you buff it afterwards or put a clear coat of anything on to seal it?

Also I have a VP with sun faded paint, have tried coloured polish to rejuvenate but I think it may be beyond my help. Want to clean it up for sale. had any luck with any products?

R

rattattack1313

paint....

according to Barry at Summit Paint & Panels, Rocklea, Briz, Dulux screwed up with the UV protection paint(clear coat ).around that era....which is why the paint on my car, and yours, by the sound of it, cracks...where the "POLICE" sticker was across the bonnet ,the paint was ****-hot..rest of outer paint cracked all over.......cost me $2400 for my repaint.....trashed door fixed, and rear fixed and outside of car painted...)...and yea...most of that stuff is available at supacheap etc...but I would see about doing all the preparation yourself, and getting a professional to paint the top coats........if you can afford it, and if you can't see yourself doing it properly...if you do screw up, just means you have to do it all again.....

Last edited by a moderator:

vxcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Getting away from the subject a little, Has anyone tried painting the V6 rocker covers and turtle shell and is the same method used.
Dale :confused:

Snowfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
I use "PowerPlus" touch up spray cans for my bumpers and side trim. Easy job with several coats of primer, paint and clear after sanding and masking. It is not an exact match though, on close inspection its slightly lighter white than the original but what the hell the whole car will be having a respray anyway.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
vxcalais said:
Getting away from the subject a little, Has anyone tried painting the V6 rocker covers and turtle shell and is the same method used.
Dale :confused:

Sorta, you still need to prepare the surface but as for paint, you need a heat resistant enamel, usually called engine enamel or something. I sprayed cover, but now l don't have it on :D!

P

pod

vp sun fade

bugger . . . anyhow I guess I'll put it on the market as is and leave it for the buyer to fix up . . . .