Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting machined face rims (Advanti Tourers)

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Hey guys just wonting to know the best way and products to use to paint the machined face part of my advanti tourers?

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
have you thopught about Plastidip, ive just dont my crome rims with it, the advantage is if you dont like it or want to go back original it just peels off.

Attachments

• DSC_0090.jpg
    DSC_0090.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,970

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Oh yeah have seen that stuff a few times now, can it be clear coated?, do they still sell it at super cheap or autobarn etc.. For round $30 a can? Ur rims look mint how much did it cost u & did u do it ur self. Cheers mate

Last edited:

Danielzke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commy
Most autobarns stock plastidip

30$ a pop, it'd wanna look good :p

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
have you thopught about Plastidip, ive just dont my crome rims with it, the advantage is if you dont like it or want to go back original it just peels off.

What prep work did u do before u sprayed on to the chrome rims?

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
What prep work did u do before u sprayed on to the chrome rims?

i just cleaned them well, then wiped over with a damp rag so no cleaning fluids left on, then i wen around the tyre with cards shoved between the tyre and mag...as in photo below. If you have to mask off you need to do all the painting you need done straight away and take the mask off before it dries

Attachments

• DSC_0089.jpg
    DSC_0089.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,886
  • DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 582
  • DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1,453

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Oh yeah have seen that stuff a few times now, can it be clear coated?, do they still sell it at super cheap or autobarn etc.. For round $30 a can? Ur rims look mint how much did it cost u & did u do it ur self. Cheers mate

There is a clear coat that would give a gloss ginish over the black, also comes in Glow in dark in several colours for special occasions. i needed 4 cans but had to get it on ebay but they do sell it at Autobahn but no Autobahn near me. Its easy to rims, just clean and do several coats, if you dont like it or get sick of it you just peel off.

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
Oh really ill have to go home quick and get the tape off I went to a mates while it dryed oops lolimage.jpg ill might try that card trick for the other 3 wheels lol :)

xSV666x

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
image.jpg

Didn't turn out to bad, considering i pulled the masking tape off wen it was pretty much dry :( so will do this rim again after i do the other 3 :)

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Didn't turn out to bad, considering i pulled the masking tape off wen it was pretty much dry :( so will do this rim again after i do the other 3 :)

Looks decent.

I am thinking about doing the chrome bits on my Advanti Gauntlets blue.. and then get the plastidip clear coat to make it look glossy.. atleast if it looks crap i could easily peel it off.