Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting motor cover

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
I am looking at painting the plastic motor cover on my vs v6 to try and get a bit of a colour scheme happening!
what is the best paint to use for that
Laquer??
quick dry enamel?????
any help would be much appreciated.
oviously I will give it a scotch or light sand and clean.
anything else I should do??????????

AnthsVSLexcen

Reaction score
i think you should use paint that can handle the heat from the engine bay. theres special engine enamel paint that can handle some heat, autobarn should sell the stuff.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
or you could leave the cover off (holds in the heat anyway) and polish the plenum chamber and inlet manifold......takes a bit of doing but it looks great

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
sounds good

I like that idea, I have taken cover off at the mo, quicker to work on engine!!!! What do you use to polish, some sort of cutting compound???? and do you do by hand or buffer???

guyver6

Reaction score
Website
mmgn.com
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport R8
I like that idea, I have taken cover off at the mo, quicker to work on engine!!!! What do you use to polish, some sort of cutting compound???? and do you do by hand or buffer???

various grades of sandpaper and time, start with a course grade to get the big scratches and casting imperfections out then work your way up to the fine grade to get that polished look, finish of with some autosol metal polish. you will have sore arms and silver hands buy time your done.

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
hey hold-on how did you go with your oil leak, fixed yet or still trying to diagnose the fault